Please help! Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CKC Coop, Mar 18, 2015.

1. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    I just got home and let the girls out to free range. I went to the house, changed clothes, got my basket, feed, and water, and headed back to the coop. I brought a plate of fish scraps to share with the girls and while they all ran to eat I noticed one of my hens run in low and put both her wings out. She had a great appetite and gobbled up some fish. She just sat while she did it. She takes a couple steps normally and then sits with both wings out. She seems otherwise ok. I also noticed some dried blood droppings up by the nesting boxes. I looked her over and saw no blood on her though. I noticed when I picked her up both of her legs scrunched up and she had her toes curled too...usually they seem to hang their legs and feet straight. There was a large and slightly strange shaped egg in one of the boxes. I don't know if it was hers or if that could have caused her problem. We have had many eggs the past few months that have also looked this way. Does anyone have experience or ideas of what could be wrong and what I should do?.....Please!

2. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    I should correct that it was dried drops of blood, not blood in the droppings.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she be getting kept from her food and water by the others? Her symptoms could be from a vitamin deficiency, dehydration, or possibly Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Sometimes when chickens have odd symptoms, you make sure they get fluids, food, vitamins and electrolytes, check for mites and other parasites, and observe further symptoms. Drooping wings can be a bad sign, so I would being her inside for warmth where you can really watch her closely.

4. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    She has a good appetite and is drinking water. She is alert, her comb is bright red, and when I pick her up she flaps her wings powerfully. Her eyes are clear and other than sitting and putting her wings out when she walks a couple of steps, she seems normal. I have felt around for an egg, thinking it might be stopped, but felt nothing. I'm still wondering if it could be an egg laying issue though. I have her in a small coop away from the others for the night and I can keep an eye on her. We have not vaccinated and until now have had no problems. Our hens are 11 months old.

5. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    UPDATE
    Yesterday morning when I checked on my hen she was standing which was good. She was still eating and drinking and looked alert. After work there was an egg and she got out and free ranged a bit. She is getting around slowly. I've decided she must have an injury of some kind. Nothing is swollen and nothing appears different, but she is walking a bit awkwardly and pretty much stayed clear of the flock. I can't tell if the injury might be pelvis, breastbone, or leg. It is encouraging that she is better and I hope she improves more today. I kept her in a separate coop last night so she could heal in peace. Is it a possibility there was some trauma to her when she laid an egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by