RodNTN

Hatchaolic
8 Years
May 22, 2013
The Volunteer State
My Coop
My Coop
Good afternoon, everyone!
I'm having a serious problem with a couple hens in my flock and need some help.
One of my girls (Cindy, a 1 year old mixed breed) has been acting a little sluggish for a couple weeks.
I assumed it was because she was molting for the first time. I should've known better since I've kept chickens, and treated them, for a few years now.
Today she is the worst she has been so far. She is very lethargic, and her poop is watery and green. Another hen (Dot, a mixed bantam who stays in the same coop with Cindy) is now showing the same symptoms, just not as severe.

Both girls are in separate cages in our basement right now. I'm about to give them both water with electrolytes.

What does this sound like? Their feed isn't molded, although we do give them scraps; we haven't given them anything moldy as far as I know. Maybe worms? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! ☺

Could it be Coccidiosis? You can treat for Coccidiosis without harming them if that isn't what's afflicting them.

It might be worms, too. Do you have a way to get a fecal float done?

There's no blood is their feces, so at first I ruled that out. But I can still treat them with Corid just to be sure.

About the fecal float, I'm not sure if our local vet does that, but I can check into it.

So, I've treated the whole flock with Corid. Dot is doing just fine, eating and drinking and throwing a fit for being caged up :p Cindy isn't doing well at all. She's not drinking or eating at all. I've already given her electrolytes, Nutri-drench, and Corid in her water (I had to make her drink). But she hasn't eaten anything but a few pieces of cracked corn. Should I force feed her yogurt?

Sounds very much like worms. A one year old would be able to survive a while, as she has displayed symptoms a while. Do you have any way to treat her for worms that can be given now? I always treat when they act like this and go to bed with a mostly watery crop. I treat at night or in the morning so the next day i can monitor their eating knowing the worms are dead, and also adjust other medicines and force feeding as needed.

The symptoms all point to worms and even though it is not guaranteed, you have to eliminate the possibility.

Thank you so much!! I only have an all natural medicine for prevention, not treatment. I can order some or run out tomorrow and pick some up.
What medicine would you recommend?

I don't live in the usa so the medicines are different. I personally use ivermectin as it has shown to be effective on my types of worms. I think fenbendazole is the byc recommended wormer. I have used it also and it works the same way, i see overnight results, but the recovery may be another day, you can give vitamins and special foods to help them the next day if worms was the cause.

If your hen is not sick with worms, continuing corrid is a good idea. I would advise against yogurt. Mixing vitamins and corrid is also not allowed as vitamins cancel out the effects of the corrid.

I hope she gets better. If you eliminate worms as the culprit, you can focus on the antibiotics and natural remedies. Your first choice should be fenbendazole liquid drops if you can find it.

Good afternoon, everyone!
I'm having a serious problem with a couple hens in my flock and need some help.
One of my girls (Cindy, a 1 year old mixed breed) has been acting a little sluggish for a couple weeks.
I assumed it was because she was molting for the first time. I should've known better since I've kept chickens, and treated them, for a few years now.
Today she is the worst she has been so far. She is very lethargic, and her poop is watery and green. Another hen (Dot, a mixed bantam who stays in the same coop with Cindy) is now showing the same symptoms, just not as severe.

Both girls are in separate cages in our basement right now. I'm about to give them both water with electrolytes.

What does this sound like? Their feed isn't molded, although we do give them scraps; we haven't given them anything moldy as far as I know. Maybe worms? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! ☺
It could also be a cold like illness. I have hens that exhibit simialar symptoms sometimes when the weather is cold and rainy. They experience body fevers, and generally don't feel like eating and just sit hunched over.

I treat them with aspirin and antibiotics. The aspirin has been surprisingly helpful to get them well enough to eat. I give maybe half a baby tablet which is 50 grams by mouth and they usually perk up for a while, like their fevers reduce and feel well enough to eat. You could try aspirin tomorrow morning if they seem to have fevers or general flu like symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom