Please help - Sick Silkie - I'm really worried :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Apomerantz, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    I have a sweet little 12ish week old silkie roo. He has a crooked beak, but has been doing fine until today. Today, while he was running around the yard, I noticed that he seemed to be holding his head to the side. Hmmm, I thought 'maybe he can't see past his crest' - so I trimmed it and that wasn't the problem. Then, while I was holding him and cuddling with him he was holding his head almost upside down. I put him down and he seemed to almost fall on his side. Over the course of an hour I kept an eye on him, when he would go to step off something (like the edge of the patio to the grass) he would trip a little. When I put him back in the run he ate then wandered around. When my sister went to lock them in for the night she said he didn't go into the coop on his own, she had to get in there and put him in. Right after she put him in the coop he seemed to not be able to find his buddies for a minute (and this is a tiny coop). I am thinking he either has wry neck or is going blind. What should I do? I love this little guy and he is worrying me so much.

Amy

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hmmm, could be Wry Neck, Marek's, or just a simple ear infection. Try inspecting & cleaning his ears. See if that helps, or if any pus/goo comes out. Also give him some Vitamin B (Niacin). And some Vitamin A. Multivitamins in the water will help. Then if no help maybe it's Marek's (or Wry Neck). [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It does sound like wry neck to me(and poor little Silkies are kinda prone to it). I know there is a combo of vitamins you can give them that works really well most of the time and it includes Vitamin E, Selenium and I think B Vitamins. Unsure of dosage, but I'm sure some others that have raised Silkies or have dealt with wry neck can help you.
    Good luck with your baby. [​IMG]

4. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    What type of vitamins should I get to give him? Are there special fowl/bird vitamins or baby vitamins? I will pick some up tomorrow if he isn't doing better.
    Amy

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    No-just get the vitamins at the drug store-same ones for people.
    PolyViSol infant drops(without iron) are good to have on hand for your birds anytime so I would get some of those and some of those gel type Vitamin E and maybe try to put them in some yogurt to get him/her to take them.

6. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    His neck is WAY worse today, he is keeping his head upside down. I brought him inside and I have him in a box. I have been feeding him yogurt and just ran to the store. I forgot which vitamins to get except for the polyvisol and I just gave him so drops. What about a multivitamin that doesn't include iron, would that work?
    Amy

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    The PolyViSol is a multi-vitamin. Sounds like he really needs the Vitamin E capsules.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by