Please HELP! Sick Silkie just sits in crate!!

TGreenhut

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Northern, CA
My beloved partridge silkie, Alice, has just been sitting in her crate/nesting box for about a week now! Every time I touch her back she makes an almost chuckling sound, raises her back end slightly, and pecks at me continuously. Thru out the day I lift her out of her crate and force her to eat and drink, but sadly she is losing weight. Also whenever I take her out of her crate she lifts her wings to stretch and lets out a slight cry. Alice also has stopped laying her eggs. Her poop looks normal (for as much as I can tell), her nose is dry and her eyes look healthy (no puss or anything). I've gave my chickens Wazine to worm them (just in case) yeserday morning. The temp here has been ranging from 90 to a 105 degrees Farenheit.

I don't know what to do to help her! Please help!!
hit.gif

-Teresa

I think she's broody. So, she'll be there for awhile. You can put her in a wire cage to try and break her. If not, you might consider giving her some eggs to set.

I agree mine just did same thing and hatched out her first egg for me. In this process she would not even poop in the pen I had her in I had to take her out to go then right back or she cluck and bite me.

Yes she is broody. Get her some fertile eggs to hatch (if you want chicks).

Also put a small dish of water and food next to her nest, within reach so she does not have to leave.

Move her crate to the coolest part of the shade during the heat of the day to help keep her cool (if you can move the crate/nest).

I put my broodies out in a small chicken tractor. Being in the yard diverts their attention. I give them boiled egg & veggies.
Keep track of how long your hen acts this way. If it's over 3 weeks, double up your efforts of getting her fed and moving...

or .....

Let her hatch some babies.
jumpy.gif

Ok thanks!!! She hasn't been spending as much time in her crate anymore, so luckily she is eating and drinking! I wish I could get a few more chicks for her but I'm holding back on the chickens for a little while
wink.png
! Thanks for all the help!!

Chickens are so funny when they're broody. They stand their ground, growl and bite if you reach in. They sit like that in a trance on eggs until they hatch, getting up once a day or so to eat and poop. When the chicks are there she gets all bristled up and does more of the same except with little chirping squeekers running about and getting lost in her plume. I suspect she loses weight at this time because it's all about the chicks. The hen protects them until their teens. Last summer I saw Momma chase a cat away (feral no less). I had to laugh!!! A big fluffed up growling chicken hen. No fear.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom