Please help. Sick Silkie Rooster. PICS

GwenReaper

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Memphis, TN
I am not sure if I am doing the right thing for my chicken right now... let me fill everyone in.

Last Thursday a racoon got into my LOCKED chicken coop. It scaled 2 fences and chewed a hole into an old part of chicken wire. It got in and killed a silkie hen and injured a sebright that later died. It was my roosters girlfriend that it killed and I think I he was close when the attack was going on. So he could be in alittle bit of shock. My boyfriend heard the fighting and ran out and saved any other chickens from getting hurt. He made sure that the racoon would not do anything like that again by giving him a dose of lead poison!!

But I noticed that yesterday my silkie rooster, Grady, was feeling under the weather. He had alittle bit of goop in an eye so I cleaned it and put him in a cage isolated from the other chickens. Well I came out today and NOW its horrible!!! One of his eyes are so swollen. Its not leaking very much. When I open its eye it so swollen I cannot see an eye inside. I never saw any sign of the racoon getting a hold of Grady... His has some yellow discharge on his beak and I have been cleaning it off so he can breath easier. I have him inside tonight so that he stays warm enough. I am cleaning his eye every couple of hours. I just need to know some home remedies or what it looks like.

Here is a pic taken a couple minutes ago....

40776_img00022-20091101-1817.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like he might have an injury, either from the raccoon or maybe he injured himself trying to get away.

Antibiotics might help. It could be an infection.

Back
Top Bottom