1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help!!! sick wyandotte with blue spots on legs!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chirpy95, Jan 19, 2010.

1. chirpy95

chirpy95 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    My 1 year old golden laced Wyandotte hatched 2 chicks together with another chicken the chicks are now one month old and I have just found signs of illness on her she has blue spots ranging as big as 2cm in size, her comb and wattle have become pale and shrunk, she has decreased in weight by at least half, she has red blotches on her skin on her belly and flaky skin also even though it is summer over her for me she has moulted and lost half her feathers. Please help!!! I’m very worried about her she is one of my best birds and the best mother of the flock. All her symptoms are pictured.
    Thank you,
    Maddz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. revolutionmama

revolutionmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    Looks like it could be mites, scaly leg mites. Do you have a ridding mites program?

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Is she acting ok? Are you sure she is ill? Out of lay (broody & chick raising) hens will normally have shriveled and pale combs. They will also often lose weight (sitting on the nest for 21 days with only short breaks will do that). Broody hens often get overrun with lice/mites as they are not dust bathing as much. Many chickens have spotty legs- are those bruises or just spots of pigment? Many of my hens have spotty legs- from their Marans heritage. If she is molting- they normally look frazzled and funky. She should be eating and drinking. Check her for lice. If she is acting fine, she may just need to recover from her broody time and get over her molting.

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    you know , other than forming blue spots poss leg mites but I have never ever seen a mite case cause blue spots , that bird looks over all like the picture of health, nice yellow in legs nice red comb ,good bright eyes. It does look like A little feather issue thou poss lice?

You say these spots just suddenly formed?

There is a disease in humans where sudden black and blue marks appear mainly on the legs sometimes the arms , it is a relativly harmless disease in humans thou disturbing to see, its self resolving but takes a long time. Ive never seen blue spots that suddenly appear

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  5. chirpy95

chirpy95 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Thank you all for you help! I went away for a weekend and left them in the care of a friend so the spots appeared in around 2 days. I checked again today and yes she does have lice and this week I should be clearing that up along with my scaly leg mite solution, I’m also going to put her back into the main coop (the brooding coop is very small and I think she needs extra room). thank you for your ideas and I think with time she should be better.
    Thanks again,
    Maddz
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by