please help-silkie chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlestars17, Apr 1, 2011.

1. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    have been giving poly vi sol for curled toes and had a boot on her, its been off for 2 days,shes been fine. She is smaller than her hatchmates..today i noticed it looked like she fell in the water(side of her was wet) and shes cheeping nonstop,dried her off put her back in and she did a couple sumersaults,then looked like she tucked her neck into her belly area and just keeps cheeping..what is wrong?? worried:(

2. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
    could this be wry neck even if I was already giving poly vi sol(since tuesday)-jusxt started today and appreciate any advice please!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not an expert but it sounds like your hen may have wry neck. There are lots of forum entries under Wry Neck so read a few and see if the symptoms sound correct. If that's what it is, you need to give those liquid baby vitamins (Poly Visol without iron) with a dropper, as well as squeeze some vitamin e down her throat. My RIR got this when she was just days old - she ran backwards with her head tucked between her legs, sometimes somersaulting backwards. Someone on the forum diagnosed the problem and I adminstered the liquid vitamins and vitamin e for about 5 days before she recovered. My chick wasn't eating either because she couldn't get her head to the food so I also gave egg yolk by dropper every few hours. Good luck.

This sounds like just what you discribed about your chick, this came from the BYC archives.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. littlestars17

Apr 9, 2010
    This chick sure is tons of trouble, but she is pretty so worth it : ) How much vit E and in what form should I be getting it?? Like Vit E capsules?? And how much poly vi sol do i keep giving?? Sometimes she looks just fine, it seems when she is anxious or upset she starts spinning lol

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    open a vit e capsule and put it just inside her mouth, not down her throat you don't want her to get it into her lungs.. and the liquid poly-vi-sol let me go see if I can find exacts for you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5887920 hopefully this will help, and all the best to your little one. please read from top to bottom of this link.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by