PLEASE Help! Silkie is losing her balance Squishy Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southernpriss, Sep 9, 2011.

1. southernpriss

southernpriss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Hey Yall,
    My 1.5 year old Silkie, Daisie Sue, she has been losing her balance for the last week I have been franticly searching the internet.. and I can't figure out what is wrong.
    She is dragging her wings and losing her balance she has a messy vent and stays inside the coop most of the day. There is blood in here stool she has been seperated from the other chickens and I now have her inside under the heat lamp.
    I have been feeding her yogurt and apple sauce mixed with poly vi sol I have pedialite mixed in her water. I have been soaking her in a warm bath (thinking she is egg bound) we checked her vent and didn't feel an egg is there anything else it could be! I am at my wits end... please help!
    Thanks
    CMR

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    and she is eating and drinking just fine

3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Coccidiosis, I think. Look it up and see if the description fits your situation.

Feed her yogurt for now, it helps to slow it down. As soon as you can, get some Corid or Sulmet from the feed store and treat for cocci (directions on the bottle).

Wishing all the best for you.

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    lanatwo is correct, reads like cocci to me. Give her some sumlet in her water as fast as you can.

5. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    ok thank yall so much going right now! I will let you know!
    thanks again!

6. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    She seems better. Her vent looks a lot better but she is still loosing her balance. Hoping she makes a full recovery

7. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    The balance problem might be a secondary mold or fungal infection, which is nearly impossible to kill of, but you could prolong her coordination in a few different ways. One is by dosing her with chicken vitamins & minerals in her water for a while. Another is by boosting her immunity with an increse of animal protein (mealworms or red meat) in her diet. A third is to try one of the raw apple cider, garlic, and hot pepper treatments that you could find more info on somewhere in this site. If the cocci goes into remission, but the unbalanced gait persists, check each of her legs & feet for sensation (such as, hold her and gently poke each leg, then each foot, with fork tines). If one side of her does not respond by curling up when poked, there's a neurotoxin at work, which is likely caused by mold or fungus. This is the disease I've seen most, so it's what I'm suggesting.

Good luck.

8. ChickChick0811

ChickChick0811 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Not to scare you, but could she have Marek's Disease? I have been reading up about it due to the fact I just found a small tumor on my BO [​IMG] Some of her symptoms sound like the things I have just read. Also I read Silkies have a higher chance of contracting Marek's Disease. I hope it isn't. Good luck and hope she feels better.

9. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks yall she is perky and looks so much better she is still wobbling but not like she was. I have been giving her vitamins and I will check her legs (thank you) how long should she be quarantined from the rest?

10. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    OK now I have noticed she has a large squishy crop we have administer the olive oil and I have been massaging her crop what else can I do! this is my first time with a sick chicken! please I am open to any advice.
    She is still loosing her balance and shaking her head back and forth.. no solid stool.... I appreciate everyone thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by