PLEASE HELP SILKIE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ajesus92, Dec 25, 2018.

1. ajesus92

ajesus92 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Long story short after 3 years I got my silkie back from my friend. She not looking to well, she was fine the first week but now her breathing is off. If she’s take a few step she fall down flap wings gasp for air (in my many year owing birds, this is normally the sign they are going to die) but then 5 min later she’s is back up and walking. Her breathing is still off and I cannot afford to take her to a vet until the next two week. I started given her vetrx but she still has the labored breathing and if she walk to much she fall again and gasp for air. Please help!!!!! she just turned 5 and she’s just adopted a baby chick that my mom bought (she wasn’t even broody).

2. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Labored breathing could indicate a respiratory infection. Get antibiotics online, or an injectable from the feed store, and give some by mouth. How's her weight? How's her poop? Get her isolated away from the chick.

Rhodeislandsilkie likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is hard to know exactly what is going on, but she might have ascites (fluid in her belly from a heart or reproductive disorder,) or a fungal infection, such as aspergillosis, in her lungs. Do you see any watery or foamy eye or nasal drainage, or do you hear any sneeze or cough? Is she drinking plenty of water and eating? Can you cup your hand over her lower belly to check for any fullness or tightness like fluid?

Cragg Klefor and getaclue like this.
  4. ajesus92

ajesus92 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    No watery or foamy eye nor nasal. Once in a while sneeze.no thightness nor fullness under the belly. Eating fine

getaclue likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, that sounds like she is doing better. Make sure that your ventilation in your coop is good, so there are no ammonia odor or dust. An occasional sneeze might be just a virus that she may get over in a month. Of course fungus from mold or ammonia could have been a problem where she has been staying until you got her back. It is a good sign that she is eating and drinking.

Cragg Klefor likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: