Please help - sleepy hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rachook, Nov 8, 2015.

1. rachook

rachook Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Tasmania
    Hi Everyone,
    Firstly, I'm so sorry if this has been asked and answered before - I have looked and couldn't' find anything that matches what is happening with one of my silkies, so I thought I'd ask you what you think.
    I have 3 silkies, 2 young ones who are under 1 year, and 1 older who I was told is 3 years old. They have all been laying on average 1 egg each per day until this week, when my older girl has started acting strange. She goes into her box and seems to want to sleep all day. When I get her out, she is quite dopey and docile, but after a few minutes wakes up and has a little peck around and a feed, and then goes straight back in. Since she's started acting like this, she hasn't laid any eggs, and the other two have only laid once or twice - I think this is because she's in there all the time, they won't go in while she is maybe?
    Her crop feels fine and I've looked in her mouth, and can't see anything abnormal. She does eat when she comes out, she's not aggressive when I go to pick her up in the box, and she doesn't appear to be losing weight at this stage. I've had one sick chick before she came along who was sneezing and had a viral infection, but she's not displaying any of the same symptoms as this one. the only concerning things really are that she wants to sleep all day, and isn't laying.
    The weather has just warmed up here, so I thought that might be a factor, but I'm still quite worried.
    Does anyone have any advice or information that might help?
    Thanks so much.

Rach

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like she may be broody.

3. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    The warming up could be a major factor.
    Feel her abdominal area near her vent. Does it feel anything like a water balloon or does it feel like they'res an egg in there? If I am wrong... She may be broody! :lau

I think starting her on antibiotics would be a good starter if anything is wrong, just in case. Tetracycline is what I have used and it's sold at farm or veterinary stores. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd also add either vitamin supplements or electrolytes to their water - will help to boost their immune system and perk them up a bit.

5. rachook

Oct 6, 2015
    Tasmania
    Thank you! I will have a feel of her abdominal area when I get home - if it feels like there's an egg in there, what would that mean? I've heard of hens being egg-bound but I haven't had that problem before.
    She hasn't laid for a few days, and until now, she was laying once a day or every 2 days.

6. rachook

Oct 6, 2015
    Tasmania

I will definitely get her on some vitamins and anitbiotics, just in case. I'm hoping it's just broodiness, but don't want to take any chances. Thank you!

7. rachook

Oct 6, 2015
    Tasmania
    Thank you! I will have a feel of her abdominal area when I get home - if it feels like there's an egg in there, what would that mean? I've heard of hens being egg-bound but I haven't had that problem before.
    She hasn't laid for a few days, and until now, she was laying once a day or every 2 days.

8. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    It's sounds like she is a good layer. If it does feel like they'res an egg it could mean she is egg bound but this is very unlikely because your hen wouldn't want to move at all or drink or eat and most chickens can't live over 2 days being egg bound so it would probably be some kind of infection if you feel something.

If it feels swollen its probably a infection, infection oftentimes is a cause for swelling in the abdominal area which often causes hens to not lay.

9. rachook

Oct 6, 2015
    Tasmania
    Definitely not swollen, and I couldn't feel anything like an egg, so I think we are in the clear there - which is a big relief for me. Thanks so much!

10. Krazy4Chicks

Krazy4Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    Castaic, California
    Based on what you are saying, it definitely sounds like she's broody. I have Silkies and they do this all of the time. They lay eggs for a while and then turn broody. I have to force them out of the nest to get them out of their "trance state" so that they eat. From what I've read, Silkies are a very broody breed. Gotta love them, as they are so darn cute!!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by