Please Help! Smokin' a turkey

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by _Randall_, Nov 23, 2009.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    OK experts, I'm fairly new here, and definately new at smoking a turkey on a charcoal smoker. My work gave me a 20 lb'er, and I'm wanting to smoke it for the family Thanksgiving. I really want to inject it with some good stuff to make it moist and tasty, but haven't fooled with injecting meats hardly at all. Please give me some pointers!
    Thank You,
    Randall

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Put one injection hole in each breast, withdrawing and re-aiming the needle into various parts of the breast. This decreases the amount of marinade you loose, especially if the hole is in the highest part of the breast. same for each thigh and drumstick. Our favorite is zesty italian salad dressing. We run it through the blender, then strain it so it will inject smoothly. My next favorite is the garlic and butter. We do ours on an electric smoker, so I can't help with the charcoal, except keep the temp low for a long time. I do mine for about 8 hours. Start with light heat don't add smoke until the turkey is done "sweating" (condensing moisture gets it wet) and is dry, then add light smoke.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    You should brine it too! That will really help keep the moisture IN the meat!!! For 20# youll need to use a ice chest. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by