PLEASE HELP!!..So why don't the feet work? UPDATED and NOT WORKING!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RightFromtheStartDoula, May 3, 2009.

1. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    My new chick that just hatched last nigh can't get his feet out from under him...he is standing on them but the toes are curled under the foot and he can't walk...

What do I do?..

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Tape it.One tape under feet one on top tape betuin fingers for 7 days

3. RightFromtheStartDoula

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    I don't quite understand?..

He is in the brooder now and is trying really hard to move around but he just can't get his toes out from under his feet!!...

4. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. RightFromtheStartDoula

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    so why does this happen....

Should I give him more time before I do it or will it just not get better?..

6. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

"RightFromtheStartDoula"- ve is suggesting to flatten out his toes and put tape around them in the flat, normal position. It will give him "muscle" memory if you will, and his toes should stay that way after about a week when you remove the tape. You have to do it quickly or there's really no hope of getting it fixed.

7. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I had this happen this week. Put the chick on a flat floored brooder for 24 hours. If it doesn't correct itself, then use the bandaid or cardboard splint described. Mine corrected itself. It's a "funny" chick, smaller than the rest, odd feathers, and seems bossy with the rest. LOL

8. RightFromtheStartDoula

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    Ok so I taped the toes on a piece of cardboard and bandaids but its not working...the foot seems to be turned in at the "ankle joint" if you will, it's not just the toes....

HELP!!!!..WHAT DO I DO?....he is getting weaker and can't move anywhere and the other chicks are stepping all over him!!....

Is this a lost cause?...I don't want him to suffer!!!.....

9. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I had a silkie with what you are describing and I had to cull him, he got weaker and weaker until he just laid there and struggled...

This is what his feet looked like, but when you held him you could see that it was his whole leg that was bent and not just his toes. Good luck to you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Edit to add pics

10. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    [​IMG]

Cull.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by