Please help someone...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobbisocks, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bobbisocks

bobbisocks New Egg

Dec 15, 2009
    and tell me I did the right thing. I put my liitle hen down today. Bullet. I wanted it instant and for my hen not to know. I wrapped her in a fleece blanket I had made for her and in one of my flannel nightdresses. It is so cold outside now and I didn't want her to be cold.

I have had her for a year and a half, since she was hatched out. I just loved her right from the start . she had splayed flegs, and I started taping her legs/feet with the hopes that she would grow into a normal hen. This did not happen and she ended up even worse. I resigned myself to having a special needs hen and really gave her something of the royal treatment, even making things for her to wear so her tummy wouldn't hurt as she scrambeled to her water and feed, giving her baths inwarm water.

She wasn't for food - I hatched her out in an incubator and cared for her over a year and a half. She was such a nice little creature and turned into a little loved one. I am so sad tonight. I hope I did the right thing. I miss her so much and am just heartsick tongiht. :.(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I think you did the right thing. Its hard to do, I'm sorry. [​IMG] I had a cross-beaked hen Felicity that I had to put down this summer. She was fine until she got sick and stopped eating.

3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    [​IMG] you did the right thing. im sorry

4. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    [​IMG] Sorry for you and your chickie. You did the right thing. Such things should never come easily; it hurts because you care.

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    It is a gracious and kind thing to end the suffering of another... even a small pet chicken..You are a kind soul and I am hugging you... May your grieving be short.... I too understand that terrible loss... [​IMG]

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    So very sorry. I too had to end one's suffering this week and I know how hard it is. I will be thinking of you.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by