Please help- something is wrong with my wyndotte.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmedeiros17, Mar 20, 2013.

1. cmedeiros17

cmedeiros17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    I am fairly new to chickens. I noticed my Wyndotte who will be a year old in May, had a poopy butt. So I gave her a bath yesterday to clean the area. I kept her in a dog crate overnite in the house since it was kinda cold out, but put her back with the flock this morning. She seems very quiet.....not moving around and I don't think she is eating. I just got home from work and she was not running around with the flock. I threw some tasty bits that I knew she would go after and she had no interest. Her comb and wattles are pale in comparison to the others. I'm not sure if she has been laying (I do have 11 hens). I have been trying to feel her belly to see if there was an egg but I can't feel anything and am not sure if I'm feeling in the correct area??? Please help! I've been trying to search the forums but can't think straight right now.

2. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
    I should also add that her tail feathers are down - overall she just looks frumpy. The other chicks are all acting normal.

3. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
  4. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
    I have been massaging her bum and belly. I dont really think I feel an egg, but she definitely keeps pushing. She is standing in the dog crate all fluffed up. I was able to get her to eat and drink (by hand only). She ate quite a bit of a scrambled egg and some peas. She would take small pieces from my hand, but would not eat out of the bowl on her own. Same with water. I sorta tried to trickle some on her beak and she would drink that way. I can't find anything visibly on her - wounds, mites etc. Her eyes seem clear as does her beak - no discharge. Her bum does not seem irritated or anything but I did put some vaseline back there - she definitely seems to keep pushing. I have her in a small dog crate with some towels and a heating pad along with water and food. She seems to have perked up a bit since eating. I will keep her separated from the flock for now......hoping there is an egg in the morning.

5. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
    Any advice?? This morning she wouldnt eat and I gave her some gatorade to get some fluid/electrolytes in her.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    When I brought hens in I would bathe the vent area and put some hemrrhoid(sp) cream on it. A soak in a bin of warm water might help. Usually took my hens a day or 2 to start laying in a corner of the cage/crate.

I would give my indoor hens some oats or some scrambled eggs.

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Oh dear! Is she pooping normally? Are the feces normal looking? Her behavior and the video do look like she's trying to pass an egg; it is the same posture I've observed in my hens just as they lay. Just an observation, not a diagnostic.
    Does her vent look normal?
    When you had her in the tub did you soak her in warm water for long?

8. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
    Her vent area looked normal as far as I can tell. It was not red or swollen. I did put a little bit of vaseline back there after her soak. I did soak her in warm water for about a half hour. I will give her another soak tonight. Her poop is not normal, but I can't really describe it. The white is very white looking and kinda scraggly??? There almost seems to be a tinge of green - almost like a fluidy green??? The vent area does seem to keep "puckering" as she seems to be trying to push. But I could not feel any egg in her belly???

9. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
    It sounds like there is a lot of gurgling going on in her front area (crop???). I'm not sure if that is from the gatorade she was just given???

10. cmedeiros17

May 17, 2012
    I have been trying to get a vet appointment. Unfortunately the only vet that is bird knowledable is not in until tomorrow. I do have an appointment. She is still the same. I just saw her poop and saw worms in her poop!!! Could worms be causing all this discomfort??? I think her crop is bothering her - because when I touch here there she definitely does not like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by