1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help soon!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickalicia, Mar 10, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have chicks that are in the coop outside and I have six that are in a coop inside my house. Yesterday my 5 yr old son was looking at all the chicks. He said mommy this baby is sad. He doesn't feel good. So we took him inside to be w the other chicks. He seemed ok at the time. Just now I went to look in on him and he is sitting down eyes closed. I picked him up after he wouldn't wake up. He is about three months old. He is v skinny. So I did look at his vent and there was some dirty spots from poop. His tummy is also bloated right wer his vent is. I cleaned it off. And kinda pushed upwards on his belly towards his vent. And this yellow stuff came out. I guess his poop. I didn't push hard. Just softly. I tried to give him water and food he just sits there eyes closed softly breathing. Someone please help with advice before he dies

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Young kids tend to squeeze too hard when they pick up a chick, especially if they use only one hand, and if this is what happened, probably nothing you do will help. Fluids are always the first priority, alongside warmth and a quiet place to recover. You can try dropping a drop of water alongside the side of its beak, til it gets the idea and pulls the water into its mouth.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Yes I do understand children can get too excited when handling pets but that is def not what happened. My son just got out to the chicks and seen it. I was there entire time. I think it's paste butt. He had some poop goin down his belly hardened. He is v skinny. And tired.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    u feed em any probiotics?
    greek yogurt?

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    No. I didn't know. Iam new at this. Jut FYI he did just pass away [​IMG]. V sad. But looking at him rigt by his vent where his belly is it was swollen. So to me it could have been clogged vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by