1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help-steady wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deacons, Sep 1, 2014.

1. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Let the girls out this morning, one has a strange, steady wheeze. She is not breathing through the mouth or acting distressed, just very loud. No bubbly eyes or nose, no discharge anywhere. Called my avian vet today, but he's closed for the holiday. Would you recommend I do anything today while I'm waiting for him? She sounds really pathetic but seems to be acting like a normal chicken. If you watch this video with the sound on, you can hear her

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could look into her throat with a light to check for anything such as an object or tissue that is blocking the airway, but she actually sounds fairly normal to me. Just keep an eye out for any other symptoms or worsening.

3. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Egg, thanks for taking the time to look. I can see how it might sound like normal "chicken chatting" in the video, but it concerned me because it's been near-constant all day, and she sounds like that with almost every breath.

I did put a little VetRx in the water, who knows of that will make a difference. It's super hot and muggy here today though, so they're certainly drinking a lot.

I'll see if I notice anything in her throat tonight when they go to bed-I don't think she'll let me catch her before then.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If anything it sounds like stridor which can be from something obstructing the airway, but since she seems occupied with scratching around for morsels, it just seemed like normal sounds since she did not appear to be in distress. Some have described this online, and later the chickens seemed alright. She could have a large piece of food or anything in there. Here's a link about stridor: http://www.merckmanuals.com/profess.../symptoms_of_pulmonary_disorders/stridor.html

5. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Just closed up the coop for the night, everyone was in their spot and sleeping quietly, this girl included. We'll see how she's looking in the morning, but fingers crossed!

6. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Well, more good news this morning-she is back to normal like nothing ever happened. Whether it was a mild obstruction or something else, seems like 24 hours was what she needed.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Super hot and muggy will cause birds to make strange breathing noises.

1 person likes this.
  8. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yep, I thought about that too. Will be watching her today as unfortunately we're having more of the same. It's that time of year when the weather is really unpredictable. Last week, it was cool and brisk, but then over the weekend, swung back to really hot and humid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by