please help...sudden chick death...what could it be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs. Feathers, May 19, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi, I am feeling so sad. Just went in to do the before bed check for my 11 10 day old chicks and as they were running around the brooder while I put in the clean water one of them just died. It was the strangest thing...this was one of the larger chicks and it seeemed very healthy and active in all ways. It let out a very strange chirp, laid on its side and stretched out then just died right in front of my eyes. Prior to this it seemed 100%...poop looked normal, eating and drinking fine, one of the friendliest little ones who would come up to the brooder to greet me when I feed them. Actually the only one I had named because he had a little brown patch on his head so I called him Splash.
    Has anyone heard of this happening? Ideas what it could be? I am worried that it might affect the others. Should I be? We are doing nothing different than we have with our previous hatches. Giving them medicated chick starter.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If he was healthy in every way prior, either he swallowed something he shouldn't have, or had heart failure.

So sorry for your loss.

I lost one last week as well... the wind blew a board over and it fell on it.... 3 weeks old.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] Ahhhh, I am so sorry for your loss. You did nothing wrong, it just happens some times.

Again, I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks for responding so quickly. I have been so worried for the past hour that something is going to go through the whole group but they seem okay...
    I have never seen that with a chick. I did have a cockatiel years ago that let out a funny cry and died in a similar way. I am feeling a little reassured that others seem to have had this happen too. Thank goodness for BYC...such wonderful and caring support out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by