Please help! Suddenly sick chicks!

lfwilson

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
One of my three week old buff orbingtons dropped dead about an hour ago with no symptoms. Now another buff is lathergic with blood coming out of her vent. No bloody droppings or prior symptoms....so doesn't immediately sound like cocci. I'm crushed and desperate and can't get to a vet until morning. Please let me know if you have any idea what this could be!

I would get some Corid (amprollium) todays ASAP before stores close. If there is blood in the vent that is probably coccidiosis unless their vents have been pecked. If they are lethargic, puffing up or huddling, and not eating, those are the symptoms.

Corid or Ampromed, which both are amprollium, are given for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) in 1 gallon of water as the only source for 5-7 days, and treat all birds at once. Corid is in the cattle medicine section of feed stores. Buttermilk (best) and milk can be given mixed in some chick crumbles or by itself to soothe the GI tract until Corid can be purchased. Sick birds will first stop eating, then later stop drinking, so you may have to feed them Corid with a dropper carefully to get it into them. Putting a little on food may help too.

Back
Top Bottom