PLEASE HELP! SUPER SICK CHICKEN!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady04, Jun 27, 2016.

1. chickenlady04

chickenlady04 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2015
    I have a 11 month old hen. She is very sick. She is breathing slowly and heavily. Her comb is a pale yellow. She can barely walk and she kinda falls over when she tries to stand[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She slept all day and she doesn't open her eyes if I pet her or give her some food. I am very worried. She has been like this for almost a week. I've given her antibiotics and vitamins. I make sure that throughout the day I make her drink and eat a little. I've checked for mites and lice but I haven't seen any. Someone please help! I don't want to lose her!:hit :(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You posted about another sick 1 year old hen back in May. Is this a different one, and if so, what happened with the first hen? It is very important to get some fluids into her. Offer some egg and tuna to coax her ro eat. Check her for egg binding. Feel of her crop to see if it is full or empty. Has she lost a lot of weight? When did she lay an egg last? What do her poops look like? Do you have a vet available?

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Poor girl...I hope she gets better!

4. chickenlady04

Nov 15, 2015

This is the same hen as the post in May. She finally recovered from whatever made her sick. Im not sure if she has egg binding. Her crop feels very empty she has lost a ton of weight. I don't remember the last time she laid an egg. It had to be at least 3 weeks to a month ago. Her poop is either all clear and watery or greenish and watery. I do have a vet available but I don't think I have the money.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wonder if she could be laying internally, and possibly has egg yolk peritonitis. That can cause weight loss, not laying, a reluctance to walk, sometimes an upright stance or waddling, loose droppings, and a poor appetite. There is not a lot that can be done except for making them comfortable and giving them a good diet. Antibiotics have not been shown to help much.

6. chickenlady04

Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks for all the help but this morning she unfortunately died. I'm not sure how she died though. She just started flapping her wings and squawking and she couldn't hold still. I'm pretty sure she had a seizure or something. I'm just glad she is out of her misery, she couldn't even walk.:hit :(

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sorryy for your loss.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I' m sorry for your loss. You may want to get a necropsy done or do one yourself on her abdominal organs to look for what might have killed her. Most state vets and some state vet schools will perform necropsies if the bird is refrigerated. Let us know if you need help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by