Please Help...Suspect Canker

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FloridaChick88, Mar 18, 2017.

1. FloridaChick88

FloridaChick88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    I need advice. I went out to the coop today to find my favorite hen Marilyn with a large sore on one side of her beak. She seemed very thirsty as her saliva was very thick and bubbly so i put down a bowl of water thinking it might be easier for her to drink out of. When she opened her mouth to drink i saw a large yellow canker running almost the entire length of the left side of her mouth.

I saw that this can be treated with metronidizole tablets but my local fish store only has the powder form of the medication. They said they could order it but it will take at least a week to get here.

Has anyone treated canker using metro powder? If so how do i administer it?

She can barely open her mouth and wont eat so waiting a week for the tablets to arrive isnt really an option. Shes my special baby so i dont want her to suffer. Am i better off euthanizing her? I realize even if i treat her she will remain a careier for life.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Canker can be treated by metronidazole (Fish Zole, Flagyl) and some other drugs (dimetridazole, ronidazole) which can be obtained online from bird or fish suppiers, as well as the local vet. Dosage is usually 125 mg twice a day for 5 days, so 250 mg tablets can be split in two. Pictures may be helpful. Other diseases can cause yellow plaques in the mouth and throat, such as wet fowl pox, ILT, and other respiratory diseases. Canker apparently smells very bad. It is contagious to other birds, and it would be good to separate her, and disinfect all waterers and feeders. Below is some info on canker.
    https://www.beautyofbirds.com/canker.html

You can find fish zole here:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fish+zole&*

Ronidazole (Aiazole) is used in pigeons and other birds to treat canker, and here is a link for that:
    http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/canker-products

Oral Canker

[​IMG]
    Canker is a condition mostly associated with pigeons and is caused by a tiny parasite called trichomonas. This parasite is often spread through contaminated drinking water. The parasite causes a ‘yellow button’ of pus to form in your bird’s mouth. This can stop your bird from eating normally leading to weight loss.

[​IMG]
    What to look for

• Weight loss
    • Birds picking up food then dropping it
    • A cheese-like plaque in your birds mouth (see photo)
    • A reluctance to eat
    Treatment

Treating canker or suspected canker is a job for a vet who will likely prescribe an anti-parasitic medication.
    Prevention

Ensure that your birds' drinking water is changed daily. Try to keep the drinkers in the chicken house to discourage wild birds from sharing your birds’ water.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by