PLEASE HELP - Swollen eye in my turken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaclynmadams, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jaclynmadams

jaclynmadams New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Ellisville MS
    I just noticed Chauncy had her eye swollen with a scab/ injury. She is eating and drinking fine. What caused this and how do I treat? I put some regular antibiotic on it. This is my first chicken emergency so I am not sure how to treat! All help is appreciated!![​IMG]

2. jaclynmadams

jaclynmadams New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Ellisville MS
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I suppose it could be a peck wound that has abscessed, or some type of sting. Has there been any fowl pox in your flock recently?

4. jaclynmadams

jaclynmadams New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Ellisville MS
    No, never had any disease in the flock. Everyone is healthy and spoiled. I have seven total. It feels kind of hard but no scab?? Almost like a little crater.

5. jaclynmadams

jaclynmadams New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Ellisville MS
    The eye is swollen and almost looks like an abscess like on bumblefoot and hard. Some of the outer area is swollen and puffy. When tried to lance, only a little blood. I got a general antibiotic to add to her water and isolated her. Also got eye ointment someone recommended. Heart breaks to see her like this

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The only other possibility I could think of would be a cyst or a tumor. Hopefully the antibiotic will help. Maybe someone else will recognize a similar wound or lesion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by