1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help. Temp Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by derricknapril, Oct 18, 2009.

1. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    I had one egg hatch about an hour ago. He has been flopping around like a fish out of water and chirping still is. Is this normal? He has moved all the eggs around like crazy will they be ok? Also since he hatched I have a still air bator and the temp that was steady at 101 is dropped to 97-98 should I turn it back up or will it go back since it is still set? Please help I dont want to harm the other eggs. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    im betting it will come back up

3. derricknapril

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    Thanks I hope so, this is my first hatch and very nervous.

4. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    The temp went down due to higher humidity. It will correct itself out in time. If you adjust it the temp will be to hot when the humidity level drops back down. The babies act like acrobats. It will be fine and also encourages the other eggs to get to hatching. Good luck.
    Nancy

5. derricknapril

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    Ok yeah it is trying to come back up some. I am going on day 24 none of the other eggs have tried doing anything since he hatched last night, would it be safe to say they are probably not going to hatch. My temps held steady according to the themometer at 99.5 I read on here that for a still air should have been 101. It will casuse them to hatch later. He is not completely dry. Should I remove him or continue to wait a little longer on the others? Thanks

6. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I am no expert, but I would wait another day or two and then candle and listen to them (sometimes you can hear them peeping and or tapping inside the egg) before giving up.
    Nancy

7. derricknapril

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    So will the little hatchling be ok in the bator for another day?

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I think you might want to move him out of the bator and under a lamp with water and feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by