**PLEASE HELP** terribly sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklover1432, Dec 16, 2013.

1. chicklover1432

chicklover1432 New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    I have a rooster about 6 months old and he can't breathe through his nose (makes a strange sound like his trachea is covered in mucus) He's getting weaker everyday and has bloody feces. I'm terrified about how bad his condition is and how much longer he'll live, I need help finding what disease he has and if there's a cure for it.

2. [​IMG]
    I hope your rooster feels better soon! Please post in Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section of the forum! I hope your rooster is cured!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. chicklover1432

chicklover1432 New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    Louisiana
    How do you do that from a phone?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He sounds very ill, and I'm not sure you can help him that much at this point. He may have coccidiosis on top of a respiratory disease. Many times two or more diseases will run together due to weakened immunity from the coccidiosis. I would start him on Tylan 50 injections 1 cc/ml into his breast muscle daily for 3-5 days. Also start Corid (amprollium) powder 1 tsp or liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Even with these medications it may be late. If his respiratory disease is a virus, the Tylan will not help, but it might fight a secondary infection.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Be sure and smell his face for a bad odor that might mean coryza? Here is a list of common diseases with symptoms. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD,) coryza, and infectious bronchitis are some common respiratory diseases to read about: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you gotten help for your rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by