Please help: there is something wrong with 2 of my ducks legs

Duckiemom87

In the Brooder
May 18, 2021
Hello, I am a ducky mama of three. They have been fine and healthy until just a few hours ago, I noticed that Mr. Meanie and Mrs. Quackers we’re walking funny and using their beaks to move. At first I thought they broke their leg, for their foot is completely over in front of their tummy and it looks like the joint on the leg is no longer allowing them to stand up straight. This is my first time as a duck mama can someone tell me how I fix this or what could be wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 7
Are those pekins? They are especially prone to niacin deficiency and don't necessarily get what they need from the regular feed, or even if Brewer's yeast is added. Lots of threads on this site about ducklings having trouble walking as they develop, and sadly if it's not taken care of right away it might lead to permanent deformity and death. The best thing to do is get them liquid vitamin B complex ASAP and start dosing them with that. It does miracles for strengthing their legs. You can read the top posted thread on niacin deficiency under sticky threads.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 8
Are those pekins? They are especially prone to niacin deficiency and don't necessarily get what they need from the regular feed, or even if Brewer's yeast is added. Lots of threads on this site about ducklings having trouble walking as they develop, and sadly if it's not taken care of right away it might lead to permanent deformity and death. The best thing to do is get them liquid vitamin B complex ASAP and start dosing them with that. It does miracles for strengthing their legs. You can read the top posted thread on niacin deficiency under sticky threads.
Hey there, thank you so much for your response! I was out all day and finally found the vitamin B complex… any idea how much to give them? And thank you I will try to find the sticky posts. I’m a new member and not really sure how to find anything yet lol

Hey there, thank you so much for your response! I was out all day and finally found the vitamin B complex… any idea how much to give them? And thank you I will try to find the sticky posts. I’m a new member and not really sure how to find anything yet lol
At their age, I suggest giving around 1ml of the injectable liquid daily - that is usually best offered over treats. The stickies are located at the top of the duck forum page.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

If you offer them water in a small dish it doesn't hurt to also add it to their water. It's okay if all the ducklings drink it. My ducks were eating a wet food - fermented grains - so I just added it to the water and food every day. But you do want to make sure the ones that need it definitely get it. There is another thread on the forum right now about legs and @Miss Lydia suggested putting little drops inside their beaks. I had luck giving it over a tiny piece of bread the first time I offered it, then my duck didn't want that - if you can get treats to work, that's great.

Back
Top Bottom