Please help, there's something wrong with my ducklings

HolyDuckBatman

Songster
Mar 29, 2017
My Pekins that I got last week are sick, or something ? They were absolutely fine earlier & I got them out a bit ago & they were walking really weird, both of them. Their feet looked almost turned inward ?

One of them got worse in a matter of minutes & cannot even stand on the one leg now :( I looked at the bottom of their feet, no sign of injuries or bumblefoot. So one can't stand at all, & that one's wing on that side is even kinda limp, too :(

Any idea what's wrong with my ducks ?? I'm kinda freaking out & really upset over this :(

Last edited:
First thing that comes to mind is a niacin deficiency. What have you been feeding them? Have you been adding niacin to their food or water, or Poultry Nutri Drench?

No but I do have some niacin, should I add some to their water ? Is it too late ? One of them keeps opening & closing their bill, it almost looks like some sort of seizure
1f62d.png

What kind of niacin is it? You don't want to be using any that says "Flush Free" or "Slow Release" or anything similar.

opening and closing the bill is likely them just panting.
How warm is your brooder in the warmest spot and do they have space to get away from the heat when they are too warm?

Brewer's Yeast would be great to use, you can pick it up in the supplements section of places like Walmart or at a pharmacy.

Adding Poultry Nutri Drench to their water too wouldn't hurt :)

Thank you so much, my mom is on her way over, having her grab some on the way, thank you, this was very helpful !!!

opening and closing the bill is likely them just panting.
How warm is your brooder in the warmest spot and do they have space to get away from the heat when they are too warm?

They've been on my lap for awhile now... guess it's a bit too warm for them tonight !

I've done all of this, & one of the duckies is getting much, much better....while the other is deteriorating even more
1f630.png
Idk what to do, guys. I'm devastated. I keep things super clean, they always have access to food & water, etc.

Why is my one baby not getting better ? Is there anything else that I can do ? There are no vets around me that look at ducks :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom