Please help - they are going to kill him

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladeefire, Sep 11, 2009.

1. ladeefire

ladeefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    I think my hens are going to kill my roo, they pecked his wattles last week so bad that he had blood all over him and he had to be separated. Now that he is healed they are at him again. I think they are going to kill him
    I dont understand it, he is not new, he has been raised with him... HE IS A NICE ROO!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Can`t imagine why they would do that all of a sudden. Rub some Noxema face cream on his parts that are being pecked. Glop it on. They don`t like the taste and should stop. Good luck....Pop

3. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Is he your only Roo? How old are the hens and this Roo?

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Do they have enough space where he could escape if he wanted to? I don't understand why he's subjecting himself to this. Mine only pecked at each other when they were getting too big for their brooder, but once they went outside, never an issue.

5. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    Quote:He is my only roo, they are all 26 weeks

6. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    Quote:There are 10 of them, we have a 6 x 8 coop and a 12 x 30 pen AND they are free ranged in the evenings.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Are they all picking on him or just a few? If it is just a few isolate THEM from the flock for a few days, usually thats enough time to straighten them out, if not give em a week. I had to do this with a vicious cochin hen who picked on everyone, in 3 days she was broken of that habit.

8. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    Quote:it appears that they are ALL pecking him. [​IMG]

9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Are they all picking on him or just a few? If it is just a few isolate THEM from the flock for a few days, usually thats enough time to straighten them out, if not give em a week. I had to do this with a vicious cochin hen who picked on everyone, in 3 days she was broken of that habit.

I really appreciate this info. I have been wondering about this when/if we experience it. I have an alph hen I have to keep an eye on.​

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I haven't had this problem, but I was wondering if you could isolate all the hens for a short time and then re-introduce them into the coop with him one at a time. It could take awhile but it might work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by