1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help! (They were gone....but thank you for your help)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by noriko, Jan 27, 2009.

1. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I did so stupid thing! My eggs due date was this Mon. So, today is day22 and nothing! I know I supposed to wait till day 25. But, I opened one. and it's just yolks, nothing there. So, I opened another one. And I saw the baby's movement! I didnt open the thin stuff under the shell. I didnt know what to do. So, I just put it back under mom silkie. is there anything I can do for this. I'm just so worry I'm gonna lose that none. please help! Noriko.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If they're under a broody the best thing is to just leave them alone and let mother nature take over.

3. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I agree. Leave them, and give it 2 or 3 more days. I recently had some hatch under a broody at 25 and 26 days. Good luck!

Paula

4. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    Thank you everyone for the quick reply. I'll just leave it under Mom silkie . I hope a baby will make it! I'm just so sorry for a Mom silkie & a baby. (Babies are not silkies, though) Thanks again! Noriko.

5. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    How many eggs is she sitting on?

Paula

6. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I'm sorry I didnt get you back last night. I've been sick. So, I went to bed right after I put an egg back under silkie Mom & put my kids in the bed last night. I have 2 silkie broody sitting on 4 Welsummer eggs each. (Total eggs are 8 eggs.) I candled them But, eggs are so brown, I couldn't see any movement inside. So, I opened it to see what's going on inside of egg. Today is day 23. I hope some of babies will hatch for me. And one opened one will make it. Inside of eggs was pretty dry, looked like it will hatch one or two more days. Silkie moms are still sitting on them tightly & doing their best. So, I won't give up eigher! Thanks again. Noriko.

7. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I sure hope they hatch for you. Good luck![​IMG]

Paula

8. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    Thank you for the good advice. But, a baby was gone. I smelled something from the other eggs too. So, I decided to open everything. They were all gone! 9 eggs were gone! [​IMG] ....Some of them were just stinky yolks. Some of them were formed but dead with stinky yolks. The eggs were shipped. It took about 6 days in this cold weather. (Because it was around New Years eve & New Years.) My broody silkies are usually able to hatch most of eggs. So, I think there was something wrong with the eggs from the beginning. I'm just sad....and I'm just so so sorry for the girls. I put them back to the coop with everyone this morning. They were Welsummers eggs. I really wanted Welsummer babies. So, I guess I'll try their eggs again or just get some babies in the near future. Thanks again. Noriko.

9. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I'm so sorry, Noriko.[​IMG] Really was hoping they would hatch. Poor little Mama Silkie, all that work for nothing-I hate when that happens. I don't know where you got the eggs from, but try posting a "want to buy" ad for Welsummer eggs in the hatching eggs section of BYC if you want to try again. You should be able to find some. There are good people to deal with here. Good luck![​IMG]

Paula

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by