please help this chicken noobie with his poor sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redrum81, Aug 27, 2013.

1. redrum81

redrum81 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    so about 1.5 months ago i noticed one of my chickens was starting to act really sick, (congested, sneezing, coughing). i have been giving them the antibiotics in their water ever since then and they are not getting any better. i change the water every day. all of the chickens are very active and they eat and drink like machines. when they are eating, you can hear the congestion. they will not get any better! most of my flock are in a pen together and most of them are sick which is why i havent tried to separate. i separated the one a month ago when i noticed but i guess it was too late as more than half are experiencing the same things. they are all around 7 months old except for one rooster, hes a year and a half. any help is greatly appreciated...i love these birds. no vet around my area has a clue and no one can help.

2. redrum81

Aug 27, 2013
    also i forgot to mention....the chickens' stool is light brown/almost reddish and runny. there does seem to be some solidity coming back to it however. i just wanted to throw that in.

3. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    What antibiotic did you give them?

4. redrum81

Aug 27, 2013
    Durmycin or something like that.... ain't been working...

5. redrum81

Aug 27, 2013
    War chicken I've been reading your posts as well....mine also have the runny almost reddish fecal matter...they r all active and don't act sick...but have runny congested noses.... I have some poultry remedy too...but don't wanna have to give it go them orally.. I can't get close to em

6. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    ou quit sure they are getting enough medication? Have you done a search on line ? Sorry I'm not of help let us know

7. redrum81

Aug 27, 2013
    They have gotten two months of medication.. .trying pedialyte and rooster booster tomorrow....

8. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    The diarrhea sounds like it could be coccidiosis but I don't have much experience with it. It's possible you have one infectious organism causing respiratory issues and a 2nd one causing the diarrhea rather than a single organism causing both. However, Mycoplasma is always a good bet when there are respiratory symptoms.

Tiamulin (Denagard, Chevimulin-T) and doxycycline are the best for Mycoplasma. They also have a synergistic effect when used together so you can use less of each (0.1 g/L tiamulin and 0.15 g/L doxycycline vs. 0.25 g/L of tiamulin alone or 0.4 g/L doxycycline). Doxycycline tastes better than tiamulin so the combination, due to having less tiamulin, tastes better than tiamulin alone in the drinking water. And, of course, the chances of resistant strains is much lower with combination therapy.

9. redrum81

Aug 27, 2013
    i will get these two you mentioned and try this weekend. i will update on monday. i cant stress enough how much i appreciate the help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by