1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help! Tiny white bugs!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by susanmc81, Aug 19, 2013.

1. susanmc81

susanmc81 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    WV, USA
    I bought a bag a chick starter and grower at my local TSC. I put it in my truck and it stayed there a few days till I needed it. When I opened my truck it was crawling with tiny white bugs not much bigger than grains of sand, an they were on everything that was in my trunk as well (a few blankets, change of clothes, flash lights, etc.). My question is what are these and how do I get rid of them? They are starting to crawl everywhere! I have dusted my truck with a coop dust that is permethrin but I'm not sure if it is helping as this morning I seen a few of them on the back quarter panel of car. I needed to get them out of my car before they get near my ducks or in the cabin of my car! Please help with any advise! I asked at the store and they didn't seem to care, I even found some on a product and showed it to them, they said it was possible it was a mite and just put it back on the shelf to sell.

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    If they're all over the food they're probably eating it and don't feed on blood.

3. susanmc81

susanmc81 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    WV, USA
    Thanks, I didn't think about that, as this is my first time with poultry (and I've fallen head over heels for them! And I don't want the to get sick! Or bugged). I've cleaned and scrubbed with bleach everything I can. But that does make me feel better :)

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    You probably have grain mites. They're only harmful to grains. They're most easily controlled by lowering the humidity around the food to 60% or lower. I might return that bag though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. susanmc81

susanmc81 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    WV, USA
    Thanks. After these answers and looking up grain mites I am pretty sure that is what I have. I am glad that they won't hurt my ducks but still don't want to feed that to them. Still torn on taking it back as well as I don't want to put the bugs back in my car! I seen what just a few did, so still undecided on that. Again thanks guys for your help!!

6. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Will the mites cause the chickens to be sick if eaten??

7. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    If they are grain mites they probably won't harm the chickens. But you also don't want to contaminate your feeding area with the mites.

8. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    I found them in my food bag and was wondering if that could be the reason behind a chicken recently dying

9. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I wouldn't feed it then, I'd get rid of it to be on the safe side.

10. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I would tie it up in a big garbage bag and take it back to them and get my money back. If they aren't "concerned" about it call the head office.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by