please help...treatment/prevention of cocci and/or blackhead?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Jul 25, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    in four days ive lost my entire flock of young turkey poults and 4 chickens (2 adult and 2 around 14 weeks)
    im baffeled as to what it is, i firstly thought blackhead (as the turkeys died first) but now chickens have started dying im wondering is it cocci? symptoms are basically the bird goes quiet and lethargic, stays away from the group, eyes closed wings droopy and then begins staying sitting. cant/wont walk, stops eating then eventually keels over and dies. the turkeys all died withing 48 hours of the first symptoms, the chickens took a few days. one turkey had the sulfur yellow runny poo (which led me to believe BH) but none of the others had this. ive seen one blood streaked poo from the turkey flock but after searching the chickens houses and runs ive seen no abnormal poo from them.

how do i know what to treat for or do i treat for both? what is the treatment? someone on a belgian forum recommend dosing the chickens water for 5 days with metro - something..but they couldnt remember the full name..and after the morning searching, im no better off knowing what that stuff is!!!

i want to go first thing in the morning to the farm storm for supplies so would really like a list of things i need.

someone else also mention dosing water with apple cider vinegar? what does that do?

if anyone could let me know the names of treatments (scientific names not 'shop ' names please as im guessing they dont sell the same 'brands' here as in england and the usa [​IMG]) asap id be very greatful

2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    noone?

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Dried milk powder in their starter helps check the diareah. I believe that Corid (Amprollium) is the proper medication.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive just been out to try and get baycox but nowhere has it. ive been given something called ESB3.....has anyone heard of this/tried it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by