Please help!!! Turkey with yellow swellings on the head

hamzaahvalli

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Hi everyone,
Thanks for coming here in the first place. My About 8 week old turkeys have Small yellow swellings on their heads. The female has many while the male had just began displaying a few. I dearly love them both and its my first time raising turkeys. I really need some help in at least knowing what it is from anyone who knows and has experience in raising this intresting fowl. Thank you all.

Yes I hopefully will in the next couple of hours when they wake up. Does anyone think it might be fowl pox

I have just uploaded it below. I hope it's good enough for diagnosis. The Black thingy just above get beak happens to be mites for which I am treating her, I am only concerned about the yellow swellings. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Could be. What is on its beak above the nostrils (appears to be black?).

As to the Pox. Only thing to do for the Dry Pox is dab iodine on the swellings (prevent potential infections) and make sure the turk has easy access to clean water and feed. The Wet form of Pox (yellow plaques in mouth) can kill them (can't eat/get enough water).

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. The black thing happens to be mites and I hope they haven't got the wet form. She is eating and drinking and hopefuly she will recover soon. Thanks once again

Sorry, missed the mites in your previous post :/ Wouldn't be surprised, with an infestation of mites that heavy, that the raised/discolored spots could be a secondary response to the ectoparasitic load. Regardless, the betadine/iodine on those spots can't hurt.
Good luck with the mite treatment!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom