*PLEASE HELP!!!! Two chickens sick, No idea how to help them!!!!*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angel16, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to keeping chickens ( i started one year ago and i have never heard or come across anything like this before) Two weeks ago I noticed one of my hens losing a lot of weight and she would almost fall over if something lightly bumped into her. She was eating and drinking well but when she wasn't eating or drinking she was always under the heat lamp all fluffed up. After about a week of trying to get her better ( feeding her food by hand to make sure the other hens weren't bothering her, giving her meds to try to boost her immune system, and stuff like that.) she died. ( her comb was dark purple/blue but she didn't seem to be in any pain and when I picked her up the day before she died she felt as light as a feather) I have no idea why she died and I feel very sorry that i wasn't able to get her better :( Since then I have been checking the other hens and one has the same symptoms as the hen that died. Does anyone know what is causing this?? And can I save my hen? What do I do??

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It could be a lot of things so we need to start with the most common possibilities. Have these birds ever been dewormed? Have you checked them carefully for lice or mites? Internal and external parasites can cause a bird to weaken, loose weight and eventually die. If they have not been on a regular deworming program I would start there and deworm with Valbazen or Safeguard.

3. Angel16

I haven't dewormed them in a about a month, all I have at the moment is very good Apple Sider Vinegar. I have heard that it is a good dewormer and a good cleanse for them...?? I have tried it a couple times but I haven't given it to them in a wile. Could it be anything else? I haven't noticed any worms in there poop.. would I normally see any or..?
    Thanks!!!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

ACV will not deworm your birds. What did you use last time you dewormed them? You may or may not see worms in their poop. You can also have a vet test a few fecal samples for worms.

Check for mites too, go out at night with a flashlight and look for mites on the roosts and on the birds, that's when they come to feed.

5. Angel16

I have only used ACV, I was looking for a natural deworming product because I want to raise my chickens completely Organically. Is there a good natural deworming product that you can suggest? would food grade diatomaceous earth be any good? I haven't seen any mites one any of my birds, last June I got a couple birds that had a ton of mites but thankfully I was able to kill/get rid of all of them, i haven't seen any since.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE and ACV wont do anything to internal parasites. I recommend you follow Cafarmgirl's advice and user either valbazen or safeguard or you're going to eventually lose more birds.

7. Angel16

Thanks everyone,
    I can't get either for a day or two unfortunately :( Would giving my hens garlic and cayenne pepper ( in some food so they will eat it ) help with the worms at all??
    Thank you'll!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by