Please help- underweight bantam with roundworms

azous90

Hatching
Oct 17, 2016
I have never raised chickens. I have 5 dutch bantams about 3- 3.5 months old. One is very small and was not growing. After a while, I looked up why this could be.

He is a happy chicken, always greeting us when we walk by, energetic and never shuts up. He injured his leg and was separated, but because of his height has not been reintroduced to the flock for fear of pecking.

I thought they may have worms. Then, suddenly, this little one sheds a white, long white worm. To my horror, another of the chicks ran by and ate it. (I let them play together with supervision).

I did research and found that a store nearby has wazine. I went out and bought some to worm the entire flock.

I got home and realized the instructions say "do not feed to underweight animals". I know this is because it is weight based so I tried to look up the dosage per kilogram.

I weighed my chicken. He is 63 grams.

I don't know what to do. I've heard to add DE to their starter feed, but I don't want to hurt my chicken.

I am upset that I didn't know something was wrong since he is so happy all the time. I can do medical dosage conversions, but these chickens came to me by accident and it was either I keep them or they die. I am learning.

What do I do?

If she has worms I think you are pretty much up against it - she might not put on weight as she has worms vs. the de-wormer may be bad for her. I'd use the smallest dose recommended since she is small and give it a try. Best of luck!

If she has worms I think you are pretty much up against it - she might not put on weight as she has worms vs. the de-wormer may be bad for her.  I'd use the smallest dose recommended since she is small and give it a try.  Best of luck!

I put some pumpkin seeds and guts in a blender and fed it to all of the chicks. I also put apple cider vinegar in their water.

I'm hoping to at least reduce the load so the flush doesn't shock her system.

I looked for DE but couldn't find food grade. This is my friendliest chick and she loves us. I don't want anything bad happening to her. I've taken her to the vet before but it is $70 here. I just spent $150 on her sister a couple of weeks ago. I can't afford another $70 plus whatever the vet would prescribe.

If she has worms I think you are pretty much up against it - she might not put on weight as she has worms vs. the de-wormer may be bad for her.  I'd use the smallest dose recommended since she is small and give it a try.  Best of luck!

I keep switching between "he" and "she". We were thinking it was a girl at first but now we think it may be a boy. I'm used to calling it a girl.

Back
Top Bottom