Please help:((( urgent!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lisameow, Dec 19, 2016.

1. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    So one of my quails has hatched and looks healthy but none of the other ones have. One has a hole in it but isn't moving:( is the mom supposed to stay on the eggs while they're hatching? She isn't! Is that bad?? Also, she seems to have laid more eggs in the clutch and I want to try see which ones to take out but I'm not sure I should since they're so far along. It may be the silver female that's laid some eggs in the nest or one of them has moved them in? I think I'll just wait for the rest to hatch idk:( The other male and female ignore the chick but I guess that's better than them attacking it! I'll try post some pics soon.

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    You should consider having a brooder prepared in case the parents don't raise the chicks - I don't have any experience with button quail but I would wait out the eggs.

Your main concern is the loss of humidity for pipped eggs - the rubbery membrane can turn hard like leather with humidity loss and make it impossible for the chick to free itself but it's also dangerous to help any chick hatch so it's a tough call...

There's no chance you have an incubator handy? [​IMG]

3. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Hey no I don't have an incubator:/ I think I'll try help them hatch. Do you or do you know any websites that tell you how to help them hatch?

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    The mother is supposed to stay on the nest while they hatch, yes. If she left, that means she prioritizes the chick that already hatched higher than any that might hatch in the future - and they are very unlikely to hatch if she's not sitting on them. The chicks are supposed to hatch at the same time though. If they don't, something is likely wrong with the ones that are late, so the mother might have made the best call by taking care of the chick she has.
    The new eggs in the nest are most likely from another female yes, and less developed.

5. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    [​IMG]
    Here is a vid of someone helping an egg hatch, but it is still not very recommended as the window is very small.Too soon and the chick will bleed out, and too late and the chick would have given up.

6. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Thanks everyone! I helped out the chick and it hatched ok:) still, non of the others have hatched or even started to:( I think I'll just try to help them and see? Better than doing nothing I guess

7. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Sorry can't see the video:( but it's ok I found something that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by