PLEASE HELP *Urgent*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenFanatic447, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Now my Buff Brahma is acting weird like Hazel did before she died today. She is 3 days old and has yellow/green poop and can't sit still, it is so sad. She keeps twitching when she tries sleeping. It is hard to describe, but every second or two she will jerk her head up and then slowly bring it down, she seems to be sleeping, but after a few times of jerking her head up and bringing it down she loses her balance and falls over, resulting in her freaking out. Should I be worried? I can't lose another one of my favourite chicks today.. I'll get a video if it's needed.

- It is kind of instinctual or like a mental thing I guess.. She does it and opens her beak, making a small chirp once in a while and then she just.. Spasms and flips over and shakes, chirping loudly and then calms down and repeats the process. It is heartbreaking.

Edit: Oh god.. It is exactly like what happened to Hazel, I need help before I lose her too.. She is losing the ability to stand just like her and can't open her eyes and her wings are drooping..

Update: She just did another spasm and opened her eyes briefly, I'm sure she isn't doing this on her own.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have no idea! I'm so sorry!!! I love my chickens so I know what you are going through. It's so heartbreaking!

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

strange, I wish I had a answer for you! I'm sorry.[​IMG]

4. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    It keeps happening.. She isn't stopping the twitching and only briefly will waddle around and chirp and open her eyes, only to start it again.

I hope she doesn't pass like Hazel..

Edit: I'm dipping her beak in water now and a little bit of blood came into the water.. She had another violent spasm and now is gasping for air just like the other chicken before she died. This is horrible..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    awww how sad and heartbreaking, hugs to you

maybe just put her out of her misery, if you can do that

6. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    you could look up gapeworm or something?? I am not familiar with that, It sounds like it may be too late..

7. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I think she has Newcastle disease.. The other chicks are doing the exact same thing now.. It is my first flock and they're dropping like flies. She can't lift her head anymore and is breathing REALLY heavily... The disease is trasmitted through contact so the other chicks have it and my Cuckoo Maran is already starting to do the exact same thing.

It is horrible seeing baby chicks die.. Especially 7

Edit: I think I'm done with chickens for a few more years..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  8. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Have you tried the baby vitamins dripped along their beaks? Do all of them have the pasty poop?
    What feed are they getting and has that changed or does it smell spoiled in any way?
    Did they all come from same place or has anyone new been added?
    What temps are they being kept in? What bedding are they on?
    Sorry to ask so many questions at such a horrible time, but maybe more answers can be given for you with more info....others maybe have had same things going on.
    I sure hope so! I'm so sorry to hear that you are losing so many! I know it's heart wrenching.

9. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Most of them do now..
    I'm giving them the same feed as they usually eat and it is fine in smell/touch/no feces in it at all.
    All of them were purchased at my local feed store.
    I have three different brooder boxes connected by holes, each with different temps and they move depending on the temperature they need.
    Pine shavings.

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have heard of this a few times.

Once it was Cedar poisoning. The fresh shavings they had bought cheap has some cedar shavings mixed in.

Another time it was brooder pneumonia from too much dust and not enough ventilation. The chicks were not able to breath well and ended up dying off till they got them on meds.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by