PLEASE HELP URGERNT. black substance covering chicken comb

xlifeisgoodambx

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hello
i am seriously concerned about one of my hens
i came home today to find her whole head covered in a shiny black substance.
i tried to clean it with a towel with water and soap and the substance seemed to be blood.
One of my other hens seems to have a puncture mark at the back of her comb as if someone took scissors and
snipped into it. i have no clue what it is. Is it a disease or could my hen have been in a fight with the one with the puncture mark?!
please help im so worried.
thank you allison

here are the images of the chickens

Last edited:
Can you post a pic? Her whole head was covered in blood? Is there any way a predator could of scared them and the hens got caught in the chicken wire (happened to my chickens once). From your description, it sounds like perhaps they got into a tousle, either with themselves or something else, but I've also only had chickens for a year so I'm basically new at this. Hope everything is okay and standby...I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help you out.

You have to upload the pics to an internet location and link the URL. It doesnt work to copy and paste from your computer. I use FB some people upload somewhere on this site. Im not sure where but someone else could tell you.

It does not sound like any kind of disease but does sound like they were either in a small tussle with each other ofr some small predator did some damage. mIn any case I think you should gently wash whatever it is off so you can see if there is any visible damage. Keep the areas clean and use an antibacterial ointment. If there is visible wounds it is best to seperate them because chickens have a way of pecking at damaged or hurt chicks.

-click on "Uploads" in the blue bar near the top of the screen.
-Choose your pic to upload.
-Click "submit"
-Once upload is complete, copy and paste the second image address to your post.
-The end.

Quote:
She doesn't have enough posts to post a pic.

I would agree that they probably got into it with each other, they like to grab each others combs.

Back
Top Bottom