Please help us find the perfect duck for our fam

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BriColie, Feb 17, 2017.

1. BriColie

BriColie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Hello everyone! My DH & i have decided to get ducks for our homestead...& 3 kids ;)

We are totally new to ducks!

We are currently looking at khaki Campbell & pekin...i, personally, don't know much about ducks. What are the difference between the 2 breeds...& which breed would you recommend??

TIA!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I personally like the rouens, khaki campblles are nice also. The pekin seem to get reel dirty and there feathers stain easy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have Welsh, Buff, Saxony and Calls....I love my Ducks.....Lots of fun and full of personality....Friendly and happy birds.......

I love all Ducks.....You will be happy with what ever you choose as long as you spend lots of time with them, they will be tame and friendly.....

Cheers!

4. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Thanks! Good info :)

5. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Yes! We plan on spending lots of time with them...hopefully the kids more, as we'd like them to be more of a pet for them ;) but as things usually go, mom is alpha & all pets always follow mom around lol.

Are ducks easier to tame than chickens? Our chickens are pretty tamed (hens more so) & follow me around the property all the time )

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  7. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Ducklings are like puppies in feathered suits.......Totally tamer than Chickens!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by