1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help us newbies understand shows

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by k0r1nag, Oct 18, 2011.

1. k0r1nag

k0r1nag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    So I took my birds to their (and my) first show. I had 5 call ducks, a Polish and a standard cochin all washed, blown dry and spruced up for the show. We got their early and stayed late in order to learn as much as we could and it was great fun. However as I am new, I am still not quite sure whether my birds did well or not, even though I ended up with three blue ribbons. My winning birds were the only entrants in their particular varieties, so my Splash frizzle Polish banty cockerel got a BV and my two pastel call duck pullets got a BV and RV.

My questions are these:

1) Does the judge have to give a BV or RV in each variety if there is an entrant? If the birds are not up to the standard (but without defects rendering them disqualified), then they shouldn't receive a "Best", right?

2) In these birds, the varieties are broken down by color and by sex, right? So for instance there will be a BV and RV awarded in the Splash color for pullets, a BV and RV for cockerels, a BV and RV for hens and a BV and RV for cocks.

THanks for your help in clarifying these issues and explaining more about shows in general. We are looking forward to showing again and would love to have a bit more info under our belt by then.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the judge dosent have give bv or rv
    but with splash thats as far as the can go sence splash is aov
    call are a hard breed and gray call win alot

3. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    Quote:Thanks for the input chickendales. So if my birds are awarded a BV or RV, even if they were the only ones in that variety, it still means that they were pretty good birds? That is encouraging.

As for the Splash, I thought he was AOV, but my cage card was changed to "accepted" so I guess that means that Splash is now an APA accepted color for Polish, which gives us the opportunity to try to breed for birds that can win higher awards, correct?

I am still confused as to whether or not the judge considers all sexes in a variety for the BV or RV award (ie - all the birds no matter what age or sex are considered and only the top birds are chosen) or whether each age group and sex are awarded BV & RV ribbons (ie- the best splash cockerel, the best splash cock, the best splash pullet, the best splash hen).

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    no splash is only a aba color in silkies

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Thanks for the input chickendales. So if my birds are awarded a BV or RV, even if they were the only ones in that variety, it still means that they were pretty good birds? That is encouraging.

As for the Splash, I thought he was AOV, but my cage card was changed to "accepted" so I guess that means that Splash is now an APA accepted color for Polish, which gives us the opportunity to try to breed for birds that can win higher awards, correct?

I am still confused as to whether or not the judge considers all sexes in a variety for the BV or RV award (ie - all the birds no matter what age or sex are considered and only the top birds are chosen) or whether each age group and sex are awarded BV & RV ribbons (ie- the best splash cockerel, the best splash cock, the best splash pullet, the best splash hen).

the judge pic the best splash out all splashes

6. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    Thanks so much for all the help - I really appreciate it. For the record, I was told that splash is now an accepted color for Polish, perhaps it is a very new adoption. Again, I am not sure as I am too new to know much about the process.

7. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Some judges will give a placement unless the bird is a DQ. Some will give "Unworthy of an award" even if the bird otherwise has no DQ's. This is most often with a hatchery quality bird. They'll usually write a comment of "commercial" on the card.

It all kind of depends on the judge and how tough they want to be.

Deb

8. k0r1nag

Sep 11, 2010
    Kelso
    Quote:WOW- that is pretty tough. And yet, the reason I am showing is in order to learn about the quality of my birds and what to look for, so if judges do not disqualify or give strong comments, then how will I ever learn. Again, I am not interested in being a top winner, I just want to raise a few really nice quality chicks every year for my own enjoyment and education.

Thanks for the insight.

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:WOW- that is pretty tough. And yet, the reason I am showing is in order to learn about the quality of my birds and what to look for, so if judges do not disqualify or give strong comments, then how will I ever learn. Again, I am not interested in being a top winner, I just want to raise a few really nice quality chicks every year for my own enjoyment and education.

Thanks for the insight.

if ur showing at apa shows u can look and see if ur birds look jut like every body else

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

Thanks for the insight.

The absolutely best way to learn, is learn enough to get someone to let you clerk for a judge. Some judges write very little on the cards, but talk non-stop to their clerk. I've clerked at our State Fair and the judges will answer many questions and show you things you'd never get to see otherwise.

Just get a copy of your APA standard and read and study. It's the best way.

Good luck with your birds.

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by