Please Help Us!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ckw1205, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ckw1205

ckw1205 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    We recently acquired three sick birds (silkie, frizzle, and a milli fleur) from the breeder we buy from...she breeds show stock, and she gave them to us b/c they were sick and she didnt have time to nurse them...she told me what meds to get and doctored them before we left as well. The silkie had matted eyes, the frizzle was sneezing with clear drainage, and the milli fleur was just very small (small potato/lg egg sized...dont know their ages, but all are young chicks...prob several wks)....I have been feeding medicated starter, duramycin in their water, and hard boiled egg for extra energy...this am, the silkie and frizzle are much better, but the other baby is very ill (they have all been eating and drinking)...she is very lethargic and gasping for air...I mixed up some vitamins and electrolytes and tried to get her to drink and she wouldnt...she even went to sleep in my hand seconds after I picked her up...does anyone have any other suggestions??? I hate to lose her after nursing them for almost a week!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she's on death's doorstep...sorry, but it might be best to cull.

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    That sounds like a respiratory infection. Try putting teramyacin in warm water with a little honey and make her drink that.

Unfortunately once they get that sick every minute matters. A weak bird that can't breathe will become even weaker, which will make breathing more of a chore, and so on and so forth.

Someone else will have to verify this, but you may want to try a little eucalyptus oil or Vicks vapor rub on the end of the beak to help open up the airways temporarily. I have tried it with some success, but I don't know if there is anything better that can be attempted.

4. ckw1205

Sep 28, 2010
    How can I make her drink? Is it okay to give by dropper? I am not going to cull her, she is my son's and he would just cringe at the thought...if she dies, it will be okay, but it won't be without a fight on my part!

5. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Tylan 50 (injectable)...give orally 1x day...1/4cc for bantam size....1/2cc for standard size
    OR
    water soluable sodium sulfamethazine powder (follow directions)

These two drugs work wonders for respiratory issues...both available at feed stores like Tractor Supply. It might be too late for the tiny one, but get the other two on it. Also great to have on hand if needed in the future. Good luck!

Forgot to add: if it won't drink on it's own...use a small 1cc or 3cc syringe (without needle) or eyedropper...place small drop of liquid at end of beak or gently crack beak open & drop in just a drop of fluid at a time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  6. ckw1205

Sep 28, 2010
    Okay, I gave the honey...didnt have vicks...she is awake and walking around now...tried to eat some boiled egg broken up, but she seems too weak still...I will go to TS and get the other meds as soon as they open...also do any of you know where to get the eye ointment or if I can use sulfacetamide for them? I looked everywhere around here from TS to feed mills and noone has Terramycin (what the breeder told me to get)...any other ideas of stuff to use for their eyes? One of my cochins also has something going on with her right eye...it is drooping with bubbles in the mucousal lining...what could that be?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd probably call Walgreens or Walmart or some other pharmacy if the others have failed you.

The honey helps with this, but when I have one weak with no energy, I feed them some sugar water with the medicine dropper. I use the hummingbird syrup you put in the hummingbird feeder if I have it, but just some sugar water will work. Part of it is to get some liquid in them because dehydration is a problem when they don't have the energy to eat or drink, but part is to give them she sugar rush so they have the energy to eat and drink.

Good luck and keep up the fight.

8. ckw1205

Sep 28, 2010
    Thanks to all, I will keep trying...she is still up, and I will do the sugar water later on if she has another spell...I didnt think of trying the pharmacies for the eye ointment...will call the vet too. I am hoping I can get the Milli to eat some wont be so weak, then Ill address the other's eyes...thanks again, and everyone have a blessed day!

9. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I know for certain That You can get the terrymicin ophthalmic ointment at drsfostersmith.com
    I ordered mine there. The vicks might be good. There is a similar product sold just for chickens called vetrx. I got mine from mypetchicken.com but have also seen it at feed stores. Does your feed store carry a product called LS-50? It is indicated for respiratory illness and is safe for chicks. Dosage instructions on the bottle. Also, if you are going to give antibiotics, get some probios probiotic powder to mix into their food to replenish good gut bacteria. With a lot of antibiotics, you can't use yogurt.

The mucus makes its way down their gi tract and causes stomach upset and kills good bacteria in their gut. The antibiotics will also wipe out good bacteria, so IMO its a good idea to replenish it.

I've had lots of luck with honey or sugar water on weak chicks. My girls often prefer the honey, but I think I read somewhere that you should heat it first to kill bacteria in the honey.

Keep us posted! Good luck!

10. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Also, make sure to keep these guys away from your other birds and to wash your hands after touching them!

Here is a link with TONS of good info on these respiratory illnesses. They are very contagious and many birds will become carriers for life, even if they recover.

Treatment for respiratory illness : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=235844

I
    have used all the nutritional and supplemental suggestions in the above with success.

Info on these illnesses and why some people choose to cull: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=123652

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by