please help!! vent doesn't look normal (graphic warning)

crazy_chicken99

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2021
Hello dear readers of backyard chickens,

today i was with my chickens and i noticed not only that my chicken is pooping wierd shape of poop but also her vent looked wierd (see the picture) when she was pooping.
IMG_5578.JPG
but as soon as she stoped poopig her vent went back to a healthy one.
they are 21 weeks old and just started laying. I never had chickens before so i am reallllllly worried.

Thanks for reading! and all the answers! much love Tina

That looks like a prolapsed vent or cloaca. It sometimes happens while laying an egg or straining. She could possibly be straining to lay. Is she getting any layer feed or crushed oyster shell in a separate contain to eat as she wants? If she prolapses again and the red tissue stay out, be sure to keep it lubricated so that it doesn’t become dried out and die. Honey or sugar with a few drops of water to make syrup is good, or you can use a mild oil. I would insert a clean finger into vent now to check for a stuck egg. If she is eggbound, give her a Tums or calcium tablet with vitamin D to help her lay. Placing her in a warm humid room or a shallow warm bath to soak might help her lay. If she is constipated and not eggbound, give her some chilled coconut oil cut into small slivers to eat.

That looks like a prolapsed vent or cloaca. It sometimes happens while laying an egg or straining. She could possibly be straining to lay. Is she getting any layer feed or crushed oyster shell in a separate contain to eat as she wants? If she prolapses again and the red tissue stay out, be sure to keep it lubricated so that it doesn’t become dried out and die. Honey or sugar with a few drops of water to make syrup is good, or you can use a mild oil. I would insert a clean finger into vent now to check for a stuck egg. If she is eggbound, give her a Tums or calcium tablet with vitamin D to help her lay. Placing her in a warm humid room or a shallow warm bath to soak might help her lay. If she is constipated and not eggbound, give her some chilled coconut oil cut into small slivers to eat.
thanks! i will do that and report back :)

Back
Top Bottom