Please help! Vent emergency.

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I randomly checked my tiny fawn and white runner's feet and discovered this coming out of her vent. I need some advice as I have no experience with it. Is it because her body is so little to lay eggs? She lays small ones but I haven't seen any of those in a few days. I will check through threads here, but if someone can tell me what to do right now I would appreciate it!
IMG_2425.JPG

My avian vet is booked - as usual. I gave her a soak in a warm tub, sprayed it with vetericyn and slathered some raw honey in the area and tried to push it back in and held it for about ten minutes, but it popped right back out. I have her inside on towels in a covered dog crate. I will try again in a little bit to push it back and hold it in place longer.

Here is a video I watched, for anyone in the future who has this issue, that helped me:

I tried three times with my duck on her back and each time it was so hard to feel what was happening as I pushed the prolapse back in, and it kept popping right back out. I just tried again with her right side up and I was actually able to feel much better when it was fully pushed in, and it stayed! I know this victory might be short-lived, but we are calling it a night and going to bed and all is well for the moment. After it stayed in she practically flew out of my arms into the bathtub and had a nice long bath, and is now in her dog crate standing in her water dish. I'm sure she's not happy to be away from her friends and stuck indoors, but it will be good to keep an eye on her and keep her clean, and she's overall pretty calm.

Here is a video I watched, for anyone in the future who has this issue, that helped me:

I tried three times with my duck on her back and each time it was so hard to feel what was happening as I pushed the prolapse back in, and it kept popping right back out. I just tried again with her right side up and I was actually able to feel much better when it was fully pushed in, and it stayed! I know this victory might be short-lived, but we are calling it a night and going to bed and all is well for the moment. After it stayed in she practically flew out of my arms into the bathtub and had a nice long bath, and is now in her dog crate standing in her water dish. I'm sure she's not happy to be away from her friends and stuck indoors, but it will be good to keep an eye on her and keep her clean, and she's overall pretty calm.
good job!!
Let us know how it goes.

Sadly the prolapse was back and bigger this time. I've tried a couple times this morning to put it back, it's harder to get in, and it just won't stay. I'm not sure what to do now.

I was able to get the prolapse back in and she's been good for the last ten minutes. She's doing a lot of grooming in that area so I know it bothers her and I'm super paranoid about it happening again. Should I leave her inside in the dog crate all day - she's super energetic and will probably go crazy. Is it good to keep her off food for awhile to prevent as much pooping as possible?

I wish I could offer some advice... This is something I don't want to ever deal with, but probably will at one point.

Not sure if you mentioned it, but have you given her baths with epsom salts? I know that's what people do for hemorrhoids...

Thanks, I haven't done epsom salts yet, just regular water, vetericyn and hydrocortisone. It's been in and out a bunch of times - everytime she has the slightest poop it pops back out. I'm so demoralized. She's barely ate for 24 hours because I read that it was good to keep them off food for 24 hours, but she's also very small and I can't keep that up forever. She's been so sweet, wanting to stand on my lap as long as I'm willing to sit with her, otherwise she's in a dog crate boring holes into me with her eyes. Feeling a little sick about it all.

Back
Top Bottom