1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help very important !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jt813, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    do i need a wire floor in my incubator when my eggs hatch please help i have a styrofoam floor now i dont know if thts ok please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I think the metal mesh floor is there more for sanitary reasons than anything else. The hatching process can be messy. You can't scrub the bottom of a styrofoam incubator, you can take the mesh floor out and clean it.

3. The Mama Chicken

The Mama Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Central Texas
    Wouldn't everything fall through a mesh floor and onto the styrofoam anyway? I'm not sure because my incubator is a re-purposed wine fridge and I keep the eggs in small plastic tubs the whole time. That way I can just wash the tub and put it back.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

the wire is there to help the chicks get there footing and stand up. without something for them to grip they can get messed up legs. the egg shells just fall through the wire and blood and anything else that happens. i have a styro incubator and it gets soo messy after hatches. the wire dnt stop the mess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by