Please help very worried

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barbiejenkins, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Barbiejenkins

Barbiejenkins Just Hatched

Nov 7, 2016
    Waveland MS
    [​IMG] I had to bring my roo in when I woke up and noticed that he was having paralysis and his back right leg so I'm real worried about him he's eating and drinking fine but he is having a very hard time walking he can't walk so I brought them inside put them in a cage put his food and water in there and I've got rooster booster in the water thing also I am very worried about my rooster what could it be

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am sorry your rooster is having trouble. [​IMG] It looks like you are taking good care to make him comfortable. The only help I would have been able to offer was electrolytes, but the rooster booster probably has that covered.

Have you inspected him for injuries? Do you free range? Also, what is his age and what do you feed? How many in your flock?

If he is eating layer, offer him some protein like boiled smashed egg or lean cooked meat. And since he won't have access to dirt, he may need some of that brought in for digestion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! I am very sorry about your rooster! I hope he gets better! Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I do believe Mareks causes paralysis, but I'll leave it to the ER peeps to figure that one out. Good luck, and enjoy BYC! :frow

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you checked him over very well for any leg or hip joint injuries? You may want to put "Mareks" in the search box to see if any of the symptoms match your rooster. If you go off line, no one will be able to reach you with information or advice.

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your rooster isn't feeling well, hope he's better soon!

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

10. cmarlowdrive

cmarlowdrive Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    I have a SF hen that has been recovering from a broken pelvis bone after I found her not being able to walk or fly, she just sat. Took her to vet and x-ray revealed broken pelvis. It has taken about 2 weeks to see improvement.
    She had to be isolated in a hamper sling and hand fed. She could not move. Eventually she began to get her strength back started talking and eventually walking and now flying again. I am very happy to say that she is back with her flock mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by