Please help w/ roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcfarlandteresa, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Okay I have 4 Roosters. Two are just starting to crow and one of the others haven't done anything and is an angel. The problem is that I had 1 rooster that picked on every chicken and kid. Well he is now locked up for his own safety but that leaves Boss Rooster. He is constantly running up on the hens and grabbing them by the back of the neck and ending up with a beak full of feathers. [​IMG] This is an all the time thing. Is this normal? The other rooster is actually starting to do the same thing but it's not too bad yet. Do I need to get rid of these or what? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. CleverYou

CleverYou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    [​IMG] If there young roos? It sounds like they are....they are trying to mate ....and just dont quite know how to yet ....but dont take my word for it ...some one els might know something too:D

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Thats a normal part of the mating process.
    After awhile he'll be able to grab the neck, mount the hen, do the deed, all in less than 10 seconds.

4. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    They are at that age and I was kinda wondering if that was what it was. They are all 5 months old going on 6. Thanks for the information. Gives me hope of getting some eggs soon. I'm also giving them egg pellets but haven't seen anything yet![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by