1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help!! Wanted ONE, ended up with THREE.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneLostHen, Jan 30, 2013.

1. OneLostHen

OneLostHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    Well, where to begin....
    I wanted a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte pullet. I get there and get the grand tour of his flock. He apparently shows them.
    So after all that I get to see the chicks I want. They are all sold straight run. So he picks me a BLRW which does look like a pullet.
    Then literally crams another chick in my hands. Tells me he doesn't know what it is so I can have it for free...
    Well it appears, to me, to be a bantam Roo.
    THEN showed us a rooster he didn't want because it didn't fit in his breeding program. He has too much orange...

All in all got three birds for the price if one. But I really didn't want the full grown Roo...
    Anyways, I would like opinions on what I really ended up with. Please!!

Here is the BLRW
    [​IMG]

And sweet little Nugget, the bantam "Roo"
    It IS very interesting looking!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If Nugget is a Roo, and remains sweet I might keep him..

Here is the full grown Roo. He is too aggressive and I do not want him... Probably going to sell him very soon. He hasn't been exposed to my hens.
    [​IMG]

Any opinions????? Please! Lol

2. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    More pics of each
    [​IMG]

BLRW
    [​IMG]

And Nugget
    [​IMG]
    Nugget is nearly naked under the wings. Not even quill feathers
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your little blue laced may actually be a splash laced. The comb could be female but those are some very sturdy legs, I'd keep an eye on it for gender.

I have no idea what the little mixed roo is. Probably just that, a mixed roo.

I don't know what this seller is breeding, but I can see that roo doesn't fit. What is is supposed to be? It's not a wyandotte, maybe some project marans? I'd get rid of it asap, let someone invite him to dinner.

4. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    I'm really not sure what in the world he bred for eathier. He has several sorts...
    With as organized as he thought he was, I'm confused as to how he ended up with a "mystery" chick. Poor Nugget. Lol so it is indeed a lil Roo?

But the larger Roo I don't want. Is he big enough to make a nice stew? Lol
    I just can't imagine how easy he may be to rehome. To a good home that is. Being how hes aggressive.
    I'd rather consume him than send him to a bad home.

So what is the difference between a splash lace and a regular lace? I saw his hens, they all looked like they were supposed to.
    (To my untrained eye...)

Here are the hens
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're good with processing a roo, I'd do that. Especially if he's human aggressive, he needs to go.

Splash and blue are both based on black as a base color. Blue is black diluted once, splash is black diluted twice. So, splash is lighter, like the hens in the pic, and blue is a darker grey color.

6. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

But aren't the darker ones in the back Golden Laced Wyandottes? Now I'm confused. I've never heard of a Slash Laced Wyandotte. Also, then, what is this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/aajenki/Chooks/BuffPul.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  7. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Your bantam roo might be a golden sebright. Just a guess based on the color coming in. :)

8. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    So it's still a Wyandotte none the less? It don't matter to me about splash or not. But that does bring up a good point, are golden laced not a splash?
    And I hope little Nugget turns out kind and pretty!
    Thanks for the info guys!

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Splash is a natural byproduct of trying to breed for Blue Laced Red. You will know for sure when he feathers out more if you ended up with a splash.

The second baby is not a laced bird. Again you will need to let him/her feather out more, but I suspect from what he's/she's displaying so far that he's/she's a Partridge Wyandotte.

10. OneLostHen

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    Awesome! Now I gotta do the dreaded "gender" wait.
    Lol
    I am rather excited to see what Nugget turns out like. He had several bantams, but none looked quite like him..
    Still crossing fingers that the Wyandotte is a pullet. Seems to be to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by