Please help! Were these chicks dubbed? What sex and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Luvmy9hens, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Luvmy9hens

Luvmy9hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    A friend of mine shared her bantam chicks with me that she had received from Ideal Hatcheries. After 4 weeks, we separated the chicks that were obviously male from female due to grossly enlarged combs and lack of feather development. It seems as though she was given a batch from the end of the day run as they were sent earlier than expected with not much of a breed selection. No silkies, no cochins - mostly Seabrights, Easter Eggers, and D'uccles. We figured that there were at least 9 hens out of the bunch. There were some white chicks with brown flecks of color that had no combs at all. Perfectly flat. Not a rose, pea, single or double comb. No growth at all. I wanted 2 of them as they were beautiful!

"Frieda" at 4 weeks
    [​IMG]

The chicks at 4 weeks had tail/wing feathers and were gentle. At 8 weeks now, there remains no comb development. Not a ridge or bump to be seen although the head feathers are spreading and the skin patch where the comb would normally be is widening. They sort of look like buff Orpingtons but are lacking the single comb (or any hint that one may even develop). Looking at "Frieda", I had suspicions that "she" was a rooster from the start. "Her" tail was never tapered and pointy, "she" holds her wings high on her back, "her" legs are thick, and "her" stance reminds me of the many roos that I have had over the years. We originally had a male Sebright in the group that used to attack "Frieda" by grabbing "her" by the neck feathers and throwing her down. Sadly, we returned the Sebright for rehoming. I am attaching a few pics of the chick that was taken today. Was this poor baby dubbed? I am wondering if my friend was given an order of chicks that had been ordered by someone and then cancelled. What do you think? Sex? Breed?

Taken today "Frieda" on the left - 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

"Frieda" - 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

Frieda" - 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I'd say she's a pullet with thunder thighs. [​IMG]

3. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Thunder thighs![​IMG] That made me laugh! What about the breed? I have another one that is similar - no ridges where the comb should be, lighter in color and slightly smaller build...

Lilly - 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

Lilly - 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I'd say they're both pullets. It'd be obvious by now.

[​IMG]

Here's my 12 week old. He's a slow maturer though. The one I got rid of had a much bigger comb at 9 weeks and was crowing.

5. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    What about the breed? Buff Orpingtons? Why don't I see tiny ridges where the comb should be? Both chicks have combs that are perfectly flat. Wondering if they were dubbed. My Golden Sebright was slow to mature as well but his aggressiveness was a sure sign in addition to his comb being more developed than the hen we have of the same age.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like Lilly has a Pea Comb--maybe Cornish?

Do you know where they came from?

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    They look like hatchery white laced red Cornish pullets to me.

8. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Looking like cornish chicks to me as well - such stocky birds! When they jump off their perches, they land with a thud due to their weight. So far, they are EXTREMELY active and enjoy chasing each other around and jumping over each other. Lilly may be a red laced white as her dominant color seems to be white while Frieda is much darker and more similar to the white laced red. I really appreciate everyone's input! [​IMG] I was worried about a roo due to the mass and rate of growth!

9. peep peep betty

peep peep betty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    [​IMG]i dont know what kind or age this chicken is?
    [​IMG]we have had it for 2 months but we dont know how old it was when we got it

10. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    They came from ideal poultry. You are right! They do look Cornish! So stocky!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by