Please help....what can I do??

Emmet Mcknight

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Derry, Ireland

This little guy hatched yesterday morning so is about 40hrs old, cant stand up or walk. It can hold its head up and move around in circles but cant move towards water or chick crumb. Please advise.

Is this a case of splayed leg?

Those little legs are awfully far apart. It does kind of look like splayed leg. Also, are the feet normal? Try googling it. I know what is done for parrots, but not chicks. The two are so different. Chicks run around right away, and parrots (hookbills) don't do that. Wish I could be of more help.....I'm sure somebody will come along to try and give you advice soon.

If I find anything, I'll get back to this.....And good luck!

Those little legs are awfully far apart. It does kind of look like splayed leg. Also, are the feet normal? Try googling it. I know what is done for parrots, but not chicks. The two are so different. Chicks run around right away, and parrots (hookbills) don't do that. Wish I could be of more help.....I'm sure somebody will come along to try and give you advice soon.

If I find anything, I'll get back to this.....And good luck!

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. Done some more research on google/youtube. I think one of the feet is a bit curled, I have put a little splint/tie between the two legs to pull them in and then I tucked them up underneath held in place with a wrap going right around the little guy to hold every thing in the correct position. He cant move but is comfortable and at least his legs are where they should be. My main concern is feeding/drinking but from what I've read they can survive for 72hrs on what they absorbed whilst in the egg..... if this is the case he should be ok until early Thursday morning. I have to work during the day and no one is at home, I have been offering sugar water with a syringe and think he's drinking a little so hopefully that helps to.... stressful to say the least!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions

^ There is the Official Spraddle Leg thread. Poke around in there and see if there is a solution to your problem. :) Just remember that a chick that has trouble walking should always be supervised around their water. Without the necessary strength in their legs, they could tip forward and drown... Not something you want to find when you check your babies. :( Line the water dish with rocks or pebbles to make it shallow enough that no one gets in trouble!

Is there an option to take him to work in a shoe box with a light bulb or something? >.>

Hope your little chick gets better!

MrsB

edited - You already made a brace! Well done! :D

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions

^ There is the Official Spraddle Leg thread. Poke around in there and see if there is a solution to your problem. :) Just remember that a chick that has trouble walking should always be supervised around their water. Without the necessary strength in their legs, they could tip forward and drown... Not something you want to find when you check your babies. :( Line the water dish with rocks or pebbles to make it shallow enough that no one gets in trouble!

Is there an option to take him to work in a shoe box with a light bulb or something? >.>

Hope your little chick gets better!

MrsB

edited - You already made a brace! Well done! :D

Thank you, I knew there had to be a thread somewhere! I don't know why I couldn't find it.

You're very welcome. I found it using the search bar at the top of the forum. :) You can do Advanced Search and narrow your results even more!

Welcome to BYC! :D

welcome-byc.gif

MrsB

I would start some poultry vitamins in the water right away, containing riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Or you can give some PolyVisol without iron temporarily if you already have that, but poultry vitamins are best. Sitting on the hocks and curled toes can be a symptom of that. Please note that Poultry Nutri-Drench vitamins do not contain riboflavin. Also if splay leg treatment does not help, then you might try a chick chair to stand him upright. See posts #4 and 7 in this thread for pictures of chick chairs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/936070/broken-leg-please-help

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx
rooster-booster-vitamin-and-electrolytes-with-lactobacillus-8-oz-3.gif

Last edited:
I would start some poultry vitamins in the water right away, containing riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Or you can give some PolyVisol without iron temporarily if you already have that, but poultry vitamins are best. Sitting on the hocks and curled toes can be a symptom of that. Please note that Poultry Nutri-Drench vitamins do not contain riboflavin. Also if splay leg treatment does not help, then you might try a chick chair to stand him upright. See posts #4 and 7 in this thread for pictures of chick chairs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/936070/broken-leg-please-help

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx
rooster-booster-vitamin-and-electrolytes-with-lactobacillus-8-oz-3.gif

Thank you, I'll get some poultry vitamins soon as possible. Its 8am here in Ireland now, he got out of the little sling I had around him during the night that was holding the legs all tucked up, still wearing the brace between the legs and seems to bit a bit stronger this morning, I made a doughnut shaped ring out of tissue and sat him inside this, it helps support his rear end so he can hold him self up on his legs. That chair looks perfect, I'll see how he is this evening when I come home from work and maybe make one of those.

Back
Top Bottom