Please help..What can i give my roo for infection in his foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen, May 13, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My silkie mix roo has a bad wound on his toe. It seems to be almost to the bone. I just noticed it today..and it looks infected. [​IMG] This is what i have done so far... soaked his foot in a betadine and water mixture... put triple antibiotic ointment(not the pain relief kind) on a piece of gauze and wrapped his toe in it..and then wrapped that with vet wrap to keep his foot clean and covered with the ointment. What else can i do? What can i buy at TSC to treat his infection? I do have some anitbiotics here i bought a while ago. Its Oxytetracycline-343...but the directions on the package seem to be for respiratory infections...so, i'm thinking this is not the right kind of med to treat a wound infection? Any help, please? Thanks

2. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Aw, I'm sorry, I'm not too sure other than what you've already done. It will be easier to tell if it actually is infected if it won't heal and gets worse now that its cleaned. His toe might fall off eventually if its really bad, check over the next few days to make sure the foot is warm, the wounded toe will probably be cold but as long as it doesn't spread and the rest of his foot looks healthy he should OK. Just check everyday for coldness and discoloration on any of the other toes or going up the leg. I wish I could help on what antibiotics you would use.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Penn-G is your best bet for bad wounds. TSC should have it. If they don't, Terramycin powder is the runner up.
    ETA: Penn-G is in the little fridge.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My co-op also has the Penn-G stuff. You have to use a syringe and jab it in there, but it was easier than I thought it would be.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Just make sure you aren't in a vein. Pull back on the plunger, if the syringe fills with blood, pull out and start again. Also, don't do it every day. The injection site needs a chance to clear. It can lead to toxic build up.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks guys! Poor rooie wants to go back with his girls, hes not a happy camper right now. Anyone else have a rooster in their bathroom..perchiing in the window, crowing at your neighbors as they walk by? ooh, and he has a neon pink bandage of vet wrap on his foot to top off the whole picture... God, help me...[​IMG] I'll ask the farm store if they have any Penn-G...is it just for chickens? How much does he get? We almost put him down today.. because i dont want him to suffer. But I'm going to try to save him. His foot feels a bit warm also. [​IMG]

heres the little ankle biter..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Pen-G is not just for chickens, it's a general veterinary antibiotic..
    just ask the clerk..it usually is kept in the refrigerator..

1/4 cc once a day..every other day, 3 days is the info I have.
    Pen-G can burn..so be careful when you inject..muscle shot in breast ..
    some do it in the thigh..be careful with that.

continue to treat the foot daily.
    don't wrap the site too tight..

hope he does ok..

a little aspirin might help with discomfort..
    1 (81mg) plain aspirin crushed into 1 quart of water..
    do not use a substitute.
    make sure he's eating..he needs the protein..a little egg will help.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just took pics of his foot..its bad guys. I dont know if i should just put him down or what? [​IMG] i'll download the pics now..please tell me what you think.. also..i have blu-kote spray. should i use that with the antibiotic ointment?

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Heres the pics of his toe. It looks necrotic to me.. I dont know what to do here...and it is hurting him. He squaked like crazy when i put the ointment on it tonight. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    poor little fella...

are you able to take him to a vet to remove the toe?
    he can live very well without it.

does the toe have a bad smell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by