Please help, what could have done this??? **GRAPHIC PICS**

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
sickbyc.gif

This morning, I was enjoying a cupcake when little brother came in to say that our two y.o dutch hen, Becka, had been killed. I went out to look at the body and saw...
30516_becka.jpg

Does anyone know what could do this? I let the birds out to free range yesterday morning, and then a storm rolled in, and I left the coop open through the night because my dad wouldnt let me go close it with the rain and lighting and all... but the coop is protected by a thick, about 5 foot wall. No predators have ever crossed the wall in the 11 years we've lived here, thanks to our airedale terrier who guards everything within (even the chickens!) I remember some screaming from the birds in the late afternoon, but did not think much of it because I thought they were just reacting to the rain, thunder, etc. Could it have been a hawk or a vulture? Whatever it was ripped her chest open too...
30516_becka2.jpg

I put all the other birds on coop confinement for the time being, but I really need to know what this was!!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
So, our possible predator list:
Coyote (doubtful, as the carcass was found inside of our wall)
Cat (maybe, but the cats dont bother the chickens)
Hawk/Vulture (probably.. but why did the bird drop the carcass?)
Other chickens (Doubtful, could they rip her open like that?)

We lost one the other day, it was raining as well and it was to a neighbors dog. Interesting that the losses happened while it was raining.

I had something similar happen to one of my bantam cochins the other day. All the neck and chest feathers were ripped out and the crop/breast area was eaten. I assumed it was a cat or a coon. Set the live trap with the chicken as bait and got nothing!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Tanichca. I think it looks like raccoon, but don't know if you have them where you are.
I think no on coyote, cat, vulture, dog, chickens. Maybe hawk.
Keep your eyes peeled. It will be back.

Imp

Most of my chickens that were killed by a hawk looked just like what had happen to your hen, they like the neck area. Sorry about your hen.
sad.png

No coons here, but as everyone seems to be going along with the hawk/raptor idea... thats what it probably was. When should it be safe to let the birds back out to free range? There are a lot of tasty giant grasshoppers (oh how I hate them, ever since i stepped on one barefoot
sickbyc.gif
) and other bugs to eat... and they are stuck in the coop and run...

Back
Top Bottom