Please Help! What did I bring home?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by theyogachick, Dec 30, 2013.

1. theyogachick

theyogachick New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Hello All!
    I recently brought home 2 Black Copper Maran chicks.....AND 2 unidentified breed chicks. I didn't intend to, was only going to get the BCM's..... but these were the last 4 chicks, they had hatched the same day, been living together for a full 5 days [​IMG], and I just couldn't bring myself to leave the 2 little cuties behind!
    We only have experience with Silkies, so I'm not even educated enough to make a guess as to what breed they are. Any info or guesses you have would be greatly appreciated!
    Sorry if the pics aren't the best..... in these pics, both chicks are 2 weeks old. The first 2 pics are of "Pancake" (the brown / coppery one), and the 2nd two pics are of "Rosie" (yellow head w/black stripe)

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hennchick

hennchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    West Virginia
    Not sure what the "unknowns" are, but was really nice of you to take them along with the others,,, ask who you got them from, might get a better answer.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can't help ID the chicks, but gotta love the art work in the brooder.

4. theyogachick

theyogachick New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Just to add to my post.....The man I got them from wasn't sure what they were either.....he had ordered some hatching eggs, thinking they would all be BCM's and these 2 little ones surprised him too. They're growing fast, if we can't figure it out with this post, I'll post an update in another week or 2.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. theyogachick

theyogachick New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks! Gotta give my 3 little girls all the credit for that!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Do your bcm chicks have feathered legs? if not, I'm thinking the first bird is a wheaton Marans, apparently the black coppers toss wheatons out every so often. Whatever it is, it's going to be wheaton or partridge colored.

Second chick I have no idea, but I'm guessing some mixed colors of Marans.

7. theyogachick

theyogachick New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Hmmmm.....I don't think they have feathered legs. They're only 2 weeks old, and they're nestled in their brooder right now so I can't really see if any feathers seem to be sprouting from their legs! Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

8. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Feather footed breeds have down on their feet when they hatch.

9. theyogachick

theyogachick New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    haha...thanks! I did notice that and definitely feel pretty stupid for not knowing.......and yes, my BCM's DO have feathered feet, the 2 unknowns do NOT [​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So that means your unknowns shouldn't be crop outs, or they'd have feathered legs also. Other than that, I got nothing. I'd love to see pics as they continue to grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by